Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My 1964 model GE freezer (non frost free) is not cold enough.

Customer Question
It is about 35 degrees...
My 1964 model GE freezer (non frost free) is not cold enough. It is about 35 degrees F. The light seems to be working normally (goes off when the switch is depressed). What is wrong?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Appliance
9/12/2008
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
since this is such an old freezer you may have developed a freon leak, do you hear any buzzing or clicking at all? what do the coils look like ? are they frozen at all ? check your door gasket also make sure its not hanging down on the bottom and letting warm air in. does this have a fan inside? if so is it running? let me know Bryan
I do not hear any buzzing or clicking. The coils (inder each shelf and at the top ) look ok and they are not frozen. I do not see any change in the door gasket. It is not hanging down and I do not believe that this is the problem. I see no fan inside nor on the back of the unit.
can you here the compressor running? Bryan
Yes, Brian, I do hear the compressor running
well I think you are low on freon then. its not something you can fix yourself though, these old freezers were great machines but to fix it you need to call a repair man and then hope he has the right freon for it.he also has to find and fix the leak.I wish I had better news. sorry Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
OK, thanks. Now I know what it is.
your very welcome and good luck . Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician