Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an Amana electric smooth top easy touch control 700

Customer Question
oven - a little over...
I have an Amana electric smooth top easy touch control 700 oven - a little over 2 years old. The back right small burner and the warming center burner (which may be connected) are not coming on. Other burners and oven works. Lights all come on. The glass stove top exploded several months ago and was replaced (in warranty) and the burners were all working thereafter. It's a seldom used burner so I'm not sure how long it's been out. We never use the warming burner, but I know it originally worked. Any ideas?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Appliance
9/10/2008
Appliance Technician: Bob Schauer, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 years ago
Bob Schauer
Bob Schauer, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, my name isXXXXX you get me the model number off of the manufacturer's name plate? I want to get a schematic and see what all controls that burner.

Hi, Bob

I think we have to move the ^%&$ stove to get to the manufacturer's number and it's wedged between two counters. I didn't see a number inside... I don't know if there's one under the burners, but I'm not sure how to open the top... I don't know that I've got the biceps to move the stove... which is why this hasn't gone any further.
I found information on the oven for your model but nothing on the cooktop. What type of controls do they have for the cooktop? Are dial type knobs, bushbuttion controls, or solid state controls?
It's a free-standing glass cooktop with 4 burners and a "warming burner" with dial controls along the raised back. My guess is that it's the AER5722BA

http://www.ajmadison.com/ajmadison/images/large/AER5722BAB_COB.jpg

I think the back right burner and center warming burner are connected... The explosion of the cooktop glass happened on the right hand side, so it probably damaged a lead to one of the ceramic burners. It's under warranty for burners for another couple of years, but it's still a $120+ house call. If it's not a fire hazard... and I don't think it is, I'll probably just let it ride for awhile.

Ok, then I go ahead and end this. Please leave good feedback if you think I tried to help. Bob

I'm curious if you agree with my diagnosis or not. I would have gotten back to you sooner, but your web form was not secure... (no https://) I've been discussing that with your website technicians.
Did they replace any of the burners on the top when they replaced the smooth top? Without a schematic I can't say for sure but it has to be either the element is bad, a bad wire connection, or the switch is out. You could check those items if you have a volt/ohm meter. Raise the top, clip you meter leads to the connectors for the element and see if you get voltage to the element. If you do and the element doesn't heat then the element is bad. If you don't have voltage then the problem is either the switch or the wire from the switch to the element. Most appliances have a schematic hidden somewhere on them. Behind one of the panels or on the rear of the range. If this unit has a bottom panel below the oven, sometimes it will be located there. That is about all the information I could give you. I hope it helps and if you feel that it does then please leave positive feedback. Bob
Bob Schauer
Bob Schauer, Home Appliance Technician
They did not replace any of the burner elements when they replaced the glass top, so maybe something was damaged in the explosion -- worked briefly after the glass was fixed -- and then conked out.
That is a possibility, but the only way I know to verify the problem is to run the above tests. Bob
Bob Schauer
Bob Schauer
Bob Schauer, Home Appliance Technician