Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Maytag dryer will not run. We have tested all of the power

Customer Question

My Maytag dryer will not run. We have tested all of the power and cannot find the problem. There is continuity across the fuse above the heating element. The light went out the same time the dryer stopped working. The dryer is about 6 years old. What could the problem be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
there may be another thermal fuse in this dryer, can you give me model # ? I will look up your machine. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It's a Maytag and the model number is XXXXX 4557 AYW. hope that helps.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
this is a maytag with the heating element in the back near top when you lift the top up right. this picture will show you the thermostats tell me if you check # XXXXX on this diagram, or did you check # XXXXX thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

We checked #3.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok number 5 is the one thats the thermal overload this is located on the side of heater and hard to get at (even I have trouble!) take the 1/4" screw out of right side top of heater asm. and you can reach down the side and pull it out. word to the wise dont just jump this out or you could have a fire. whemn replacing remember how it comes out and make sure you connect wires before trying to put back down inside machine in case you loose you grip on it you wont drop it down inside machine.this is the kit you will get you only use two out the 3 because one of the small ones is for gas dryer and the other is for electric. pay attention and read paper instuctions to find out witch one you use . replace blue one on top # XXXXX on diagram with the small one. this is probably what caused the thermal fuse to blow. hope this gets it done for you.thanks Bryan.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.