The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Dear Expert, I own a fairly new G.E. heavy duty super capacity

Customer Question

Dear Expert, I own a fairly new G.E. heavy duty super capacity top load washer, model no.WHDSR209D1WW. The spin cycle has not been engaging more and more lately to the point that it is now partially dissassembled. I can always get it to agitate and the drain pump works but when the spin cycle is activated only the motor spins. The belt is fine. Could this be as simple as a switgh or do I need to replace a clutch or the transmission and how can I determine what it is?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 9 years ago.

Hi Customer;

Try jumpering the lid switch. If it spins then the lid switch is your problem. If it doesnt spin then your problem will be in the transmission, clutch, or brake assemblys.

let me know if the lid switch is not the problem and we can go from there.

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi Home Smithy, I'll have to reassemble somewhat before I can verify if the lid switch is the cause. I did notice that when the machine was in spin cycle but only the motor was turning that the motor did not stop if I lifted the lid. While I,m putting it together does this info help to incriminate the switch or not?

Yes it does to a certain extent. The motor must pause and engage some functions in the transmission before it will spin. If you open the lid i may not necessarily make the motor stop spinning. It may only disengage it from the transmission.

Try the lid switch. I got a nickle that says its shot.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hey again H. Smithy, Turns out I'm not so clever as I thought I was. Or as I used to be, not sure which. What I assumed to be the washer motor turning when I heard it, wasn't. It was the drian pump. I disassembled all the hoses (no blockages). then removed the pump and ran it (ran fine and empeller tight). Went ahead and jumpered the lid switch. hooked everything back up and ran a load. It filled, agitated,soaked, then the pump kicked in and after a few seconds drained the tub then spun, filled soaked and the pump turned on again but would not drain as though it didn't have enough to push the water over the siphon trap. If the water isn't low enough is there a switch that keeps the spin cycle from kicking in and why won't the drain pump work if everything seems o.k.

Ok Are you sure the drain pump is not spinning the wrong way? If it is not spinning the correct direction it will pump the water through the system and not out the drain.

Also the jumper may have come loose on the lid switch. If it did then the unit will not pump the water out.

Try putting the unit back on the first pump out and spin and make sure it does it again. If it pumps and spins then you will have a timer problem.

If it doesnt your jumper came loose.

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
H.S., I checked the jumper, it was fine. ran it through the first pump and spin again. this time the pump ran for about two minutes just giving an occasional trickle out the drain hose, then it seemed to kick in and pumped like gangbusters and the barrel started spinning. I stopped it at the end of this cycle so as to retrieve my now clean clothes then continued the cycle. It refilled and soaked then the drain pump turned on again but not even a trickle to the drain pipe. While it was running I syphoned out the tub and when it got low enough the spin cycle kicked in but still didn't drain. What's next doc? Am I back to the drain pump or do you still think it's the timer?

Drain pump. The impeller has to be spinning off of the shaft. or it is like you said. Its just not getting up enough force to kick the water over the trap. Either way you will need a replacement motor. I dont think that they come separatly.

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks Smithy, You have earned your money on this one. I ran it through again empty and this time it ran the whole way (after the drain pump finally caught hold.) I am super tight on the bucks at the moment, but feel fairly confident I need to put out on that pump.                            thanks again, hoyt
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks Smithy, You have earned your money on this one. I ran it through again empty and this time it ran the whole way (after the drain pump finally caught hold.) I am super tight on the bucks at the moment, but feel fairly confident I need to put out on that pump. thanks again, hoyt

Your welcome Hoyt.

Thank you for the accept. Please let me know how you make out with the new pump.

Best regards; The Home Smithy