Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

MY SIDE BY SIDE HOTPOINT REFRIGERATOR HAS ICE ON THE BACK WALL

OF THE FREEZER SIDE AND...
MY SIDE BY SIDE HOTPOINT REFRIGERATOR HAS ICE ON THE BACK WALL OF THE FREEZER SIDE AND IT IS NOT COLD IN THE REFRIGERATOR SIDE. COULD IT BE THE DEFROST TIMER?
9/1/2008
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
hi this is Bryan , you need to defrost this manually , take rear panel off freezer and you will see allot more ice because you have a defrost problem , the first step to fixing is defrosting all the frost off coils behind panel.after that you probably need a defrost heater asm. its on the very bottom of coils and these are usually the cause of problem. if you have a meter you can test this for continuity.once its defrosted you can put panel back on and plug ref, in it will run fine until you can replace heater . it will last about 3 weeks before freezing up again. please give me full model # XXXXX I will look up part for you. thanks Bryan
HOTPOINT MODEL # XXXXX / DEFROST TIMER PS310858
let me check model, how do you know defrost timer #? that may be the cause but not usually. thanks Bryan
this is an older ref. its got two heaters in it but probably is still the problem. one always burns out but this comes as a kit anyway with heaters and thermostat. let me know when you get it defrosted. thanks Bryan
OKAY, I GOT IT DEFROSTED AND PLUGED IT BACK MY HUSBAND MENTIONED IT ALSO COULD BE THE DEFROST TIMER SO WHAT DO YOU THINK? AND YES WE HAD THIS REF FOR ABOUT 14 YEARS AND IT STILL LOOKS LIKE NEW, SO I HATE TO HAVE TO REPLACE IT. THANKS LINDA
ALSO, HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO KNOW IF IT IS WORKING PROPER I'M STILL WAITING FOR IT TO COOL TO TELL IF IT'S WORKING. THANKS LINDA
ok Linda I'm back . had to go to store and got all the way there and my wife me to come home we had a 4 foot long snake in our livingroom . he's gone I'm back! ok that ref. isw a good one to keep for more than one reason , first it doesnt have electronic boards in it .two its not allot of money to fix. I think you probabl;y have a bad heater though not timer but I could be wrong. does your husband have a volt meter and know how to use it? let me know Bryan
by the way it takes awhile for temp. to come back down. it should be good by morning. talk to you tomorrow. go to go cook me some snake. ha. ha. just kidding. thanks Bryan
BRYAN WOULD BE INTERESTED IN WHAT KIT FOR REPLACING THE TWO HEATING ELEMENTS AS A PRECAUTION ANYWAY. MY HUSBAND HAS AIR CONDITIONING EXPERIENCE BUT NOT HOME REFRIGERATION, HE HAS PATENT SOME ITEMS AND YOU CAN LOOK AT HIS WEBSITE AT WWW.AIRWATERTECH.COM HE SPECIALIZES IN A/C CONDENSATION DRAINLINES. E-MAIL YOU BACK TOMORROW AND LET YOU KNOW THE STATUS OF OUR REF STATING TO NOTICE THE BACK PANEL WALL OF THE FREEZER SECTION SEEMS TO FREEZ UP AGAIN SLOWLY SO YOU SHOULD BE RIGHT WITH YOUR SOLUTION. THE NEEDED PART SHOULD I ORDER THRU E-MAIL OR JOHNSTONE SUPPLY. IF YOU CAN PLEASE PROVIDE ME THE NECESSARY INFO ON THE REPLACEMENT PART.
THANKS AGAIN LINDA
PS: HOPE YOUR SNAKE WAS GOOD, HA, HA
I have to go to court this morning (jury duty) but when I get back I'll get the info for you. thanks Bryan
Good evening Bryan, I was hoping you provide me with the necessary info so I can order the part that needs to be replaced. Please let me know if you can so I can finalize this transaction. Thank you again Linda
Hi this is Bryan. here are your part numbers. your heater asm.# XXXXX and you timer # XXXXX call 1-800-540-0800 this is appliance parts center, these guys are great and will ship right away . call m-f 9am-6pm sat.9-1 eastern time .I use this supplier all the time and he ships right away.hope this helps Thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Thanks for all of your help.
your very welcome, good luck getting it all done. let me know , Thanks Bryan
Now I noticed water on my floor, I guess it's defrosting. Will order the part and hopefully this will resolve this problem. Thank you again for the information...
BTW did you get a chance to check out my husband's website?
no sorry I havnt had time yet but I will right now. very nice I'll bookmark this. did he disign website himself? By the way is ref. cooling right again? you mentioned water on floor let me know , thanks Bryan
Freezer section start icing up again slowly on the back wall may have to defrost again, but now I'm concerned since I have water on the floor could that be one of the defroster? I guess I need to check the water pan were every it's at.
No he didn't design the website and needs to be updated he only patent those products and others not showing yet. regards Linda

its funny the water. you may have a clogged drian. you have to remove panel again to check it , maybe when you defrosted it then drain froze when you started it back up .under coils there is a drain hole in the middle check to see if its frozen, is the ref. side cold now. did you get the phone# XXXXX parts place let me know Bryan.p.s. some of these pans are way under the coil under ref. and cant be removed but you can look under in back.

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician