Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Whirlpool electric dryer stopped shutting off automatically.

Customer Question

My Whirlpool electric dryer stopped shutting off automatically. It just keeps on going, even after the clothes are dry. I replaced the timer, but the problem is still happening.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Will the dryer shut off in the "Timed Dry" cycle, say like if you set it on 20 minutes? Also, may I please have your model number?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No it will not.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 years ago.

Are you able to check for power at the timer motor with a meter? Also, may I please have the model number?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The Whirlpool model no. is #LE8650XW.

I do have volt/amp meter. Which terminals would I check for power, and would I check for voltage or amperage?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
What ever happened to my original question about the Whirlpool dryer? I have already paid the money. Your website has me caught in a loop, asking for more money and is a waste of time and absolutely non-productive.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
So I have paid the money, but you have not given any answers, none. What happens now? Or is this just another corporate/online screw job.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 years ago.

Sorry for the delay...I had some issues I had to deal with tonight. Rest assured, you have not been "suckered" and I promise to see you through to the end of this repair for NO MORE CHARGES! Please do not click accept on any correspondence you may get pertaining to this problem. I might point out that it took you 16 hours to answer my post and it took me 6 hours to answer yours. We are both busy people....now, on to your question...

You will need to check for voltage to the timer motor terminals. You should see the wires that lead from the timer to the timer motor, unless your timer is sealed. Can you see any wires to the timer motor?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have measured the voltage at the timer to be approx. 120v while the dryer is running.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 years ago.
If you have 120 VAC at the timer motor and it is not advancing, the timer is faulty. In the Timed Dry cycle, there should be power to the timer motor continuously until it shuts off. In Auto Dry cycle, the voltage is intermittent depending on the dryness of your clothes.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
This is a brand new timer. It does advance in the timed dry cycle mode all the way up to the grey area on the timer, right before the orange area where shut off happens. But it will not advance past that point at the beginning of the grey area, and therefore won't shut off.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 years ago.
Does this have a Wrinkle Free setting? When it gets to the grey section, is there still 120 VAC at the timer motor?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
There is no wrinkle free mentioned on any of the controls. It has 3 ways of drying:
1. Automatic Regular, 2. Automatic Permanent Press, 3. Timed Drying.
Another knob has 3 fabric settings: 1. Fluff Air, 2. Knits, 3. Permanent Press.

Looking at the timer from the rear of the dryer there are 6 terminals as follows:
1. Lower right hand side (black wire - seems to be the hot side)
2. Top side (orange wire - 0 voltage measured at all times)
3. Top side (white wire - 0 voltage measured at all times)
4. Left side (blue wire -120 voltage measured at all times)
5. Left side (2 black wires -120 voltage measured at all times)
6. Left side (red wire -120 voltage measured until grey area is reached, at which point
the timer makes a single audible click and the voltage drops to zero)

Note all measurements were made while the dryer was running between terminal 1 and each of the other terminals one at a time.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 years ago.
You might check the resistor at the timer. It should be 4,050-4,950 ohms. Did it come with a new one?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I do not see anything on the timer that looks like any resistor I've ever seen , and in my experience I have used various kinds of resitors.

What does the resistor, you are referring to, look like?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 years ago.
The resistor may not be directly on the timer. It may be a large, white ceramic type resisitor mounted in the control panel.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have looked everywhere inside and out and cannot see any item that looks remotely like a resistor of any kind. I know what the white ceramic resistors look like, because I have some of my own and have used them as well as others.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
So, where are we now? I have given you a lot of answers to most of your questions and more, but you have not given a single possible solution to this problem. It seems you have given up on this by virtue of not answering my last reply. Is that true?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 years ago.

I believe the timer is at fault. There is nothing else it can be, especially if it will not shut off in the timed cycle. There is power to the timer motor 100% of the time in Timed Dry setting until the timer shuts off. If it will not shut off in the timed cycle, you have a bad timer.