Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Whirlpool dryer has been working flawlessly for almost 15 ...

Whirlpool dryer has been working flawlessly for almost 15 years, after a power failure, dryer no longer heats... What can be wrong? Ignitor replacement? Something simple? Help
Hi this is Bryan , is this a gas dryer? I can help you I have to step ou for a few minutes but I'll be back soon , please give me model # XXXXX I will look it up when I return thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: Sorry, yes this is a gas dryer....

Whirlpool Model #LGV7646AWO
you may have a bad ignitor, its hard to say. do you have a volt meter? we can do some tests. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: yes, i have a voltmeter and have opened the front panel to have access to the ignitor...
ok you know where ignitor is then.unplug machine and the unplug the ignitor . put leads in part of plug that comes from dryer and start dryer and read voltage you should get 110volts,tell me did you open bottom of dryer or take entire panel off front? some have panel on bottom. let me know .Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: mine has the panel on the bottom.... did as suggested and got a reading that mildly fluctuated between 117 and 119v... I would assume that the cause at this point may be the igniter, but what about the rest of the burner assembly, like the valve? This happened after a power failure and as I am not wealthy, I would like to find the actual problem and get this thing fixed...

Thnxs for your help, if I didn't say it before...
ok plug ignitor back in and try again if it doesnt glow then you need ignitor. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: Okay, plugged ignitor back in, started dryer, no glow.... So now I need to order an ignitor? I wonder if Sears carries one for my unit....?
yeh if your getting 119volts you have a bad ignitor , you can click here to look it up www.repairclinic.com sears may have it but charge more. if your happy with my answer please press accept and always leave feedback if you can Thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: happy with answer... Sears has it for less than $30, same as what I saw on Whirlpools site... This allows for local pickup...
thats good , it should take care of your problem . thanks again Bryan