Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Agitator not working on MAytag Atlantis Washer MAV8551AWW

Customer Question
Agitator not working on MAytag...
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/29/2008
Appliance Technician: George, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 years ago
George
George, Home Appliance Technician

Hello E26Williams,

Thank you for using Just answer. I'm George. The other experts and I are working on your question.

Umderneath your washer is a drive belt has it come off or broke?

The big pully in the center can you turn it with a bit of resistiance in one direction? Freely the other?

The best way is to get enough clearance is to tilt the unit on a angle while you inspect it.

If you need a diagram on this unit I'll need a serial number as well.

The belt is intact and moves freely in either direction. The serial number for this unit is 25381050GG. :(
Is this information helpful. Does this unit have agitator dogs?
Grab the tub does it spin freely in both directions. Maytag hasn't used agitator dogs in years.
The tub is extremely stiff. I can barely move it. The spin cycle does work during all wash cycles.
Only the agitator doesn't work properly. Clothes are not getting clean and detergent is caking on clothing.
OK remove the softener dispenser Reference #14 Look inside the agitator is the screw/bolt Loose (ref #4) and if it is can you tighten it. If not then Remove the agitator and check for chewed plastic.graphic
George
George, Home Appliance Technician
There is no chewed plastc. I will try tightening the bolt After work today. I get off at 4:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time.
The washing machine still is not agitating. I tried to tighen the bolt that was reference but this did not resolve any issues.
Any more suggestions besides hiring a professional?
Could the problem be the transmission? Are questions not answered after you pay?

E24 Williams,

First Questions are answered when you make your deposit.

The problem could be the transmission, but let's look at the simple stuff first.

Do this: With the unit empty without clothes. Fill up the unit for say a small load---When the water is satisfied it will start the motor in one direction. Lift the lid. You may have to use a small screwdriver to actuate the lid switch. You should hear or feel a slight click when you do..You should see the agitator moving and the tub staying still and not moving around.

Do you?

Second turn the unit to spin Again actuate the lid switch with a small screwdriver. You should hear or feel a slight click when you do.. The motor should reverse and the tub spins around.

Do you? Take the screwdriver out and close the lid. Does the unit spin then?

I have included a diagram of the top so you know where the lid switch is. It is reference # 3. Reference # 1 pushes on it when the lid is lowered.graphic

Do you? NO, the agitator is not moving.

The washing machine does go to the spin cycle and begins to remove the water in the basin. The spin is in a clockwise direction. Where should I go from here?

E24 Williams,

What happens in the wash cycle? Is it quiet? Does the motor run?

What do you hear?

What do you see?

The more spefic you are the more I can help you. I'm not trying to insult you by any means. You are my eyes and ears there. Together we will find your answer.

Reply to George's Post: During the wash cycle the washer fills appropriately and a sound as if the wash cycle and agitator are going to start running but the agitator never starts to operate. I have watch the entire cycle go until the spin starts to empty the water from the basin and the agitator does not function.
Customer

From what you have described to this point. Is that the motor is working in both directions. The belt is in good shape. The lid switch is good. Sounds like the brake is good. Unfornately are left with one thing --The Transmission. To replace a Transmission you need a set of specialized tools that are not avaiable to the average consumer. You do in this case need an appliance tech.

If I remember right maytag has a 5 year warranty on the part. Yet you would be left with the labor end. As well as a few misc. parts such as a seal kit. In this case it is very helpful you have your receipt when you bought the unit or can get a store copy.

Had any luck on it?
No luck. This process takes to long due to different time zones. I was forced to call a technition and opted to buy a new machine. I will always buy extended warranties from here on.

Usually extended warrienteis are a good way to go... The ones at the point of sale are the cheepest. Sorry you had no luck on this one. I did check with the manufacture and ran the possibilty of bearings by them. They said the bearings were not a problem on this model and sadly said it was the transmission. Unfortuniately out of warranty.

Sorry about the different time zones, Yet we all live in different parts of this country.

Hopefully you may have something that might not be as catastrophic in the future... Take care.

George
George
George, Home Appliance Technician