Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Hotpoint side by side refrigerator model csx22d I ...

Customer Question
I have a Hotpoint side...
I have a Hotpoint side by side refrigerator model csx22d I purchased in 1992. It has work great since then until now. The problem is the ice maker. All of the sudden, it has started working only intermittently. It will make a tray of ice and stop working. I have tried moving the level arm, but doesn''t seem to help. I have considered removing it to clean it, but not real sure how to get it out. I know its getting water because it works intermittently and the water dispenser works fine. Help
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/28/2008
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi this is Bryan , there are a couple of reasons this can happen, even though your getting plenty of water through your water dispsenser does'nt mean your valve doesnt have a problem. it is a dual electronic valve one side could work fine the other may be sticking and not opening all the time . the other problem could be ice maker itself or the tube that runs into ice maker through back of freezer could have some ice in it. check valve first. it realy needs to be replaced if its not working correctly you cant take appart to clean.more than likely valve is your problem. hope this helps. Bryan ps have to go to work for awhile today be back later if you need more help.

Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: Bryan, is there any way to check to see if the ice maker itself is bad? When I lift the level arm and let is go, it snaps back down, but I do not hear the motor running or water coming into the tray. Also there is a connection just below the tray against the back of the frig. A white tube goes from this connection(looks like a 2 piece valve, but I don't think it is a valve) and goes to the front of the ice maker. Is this the electrical connection? I will try the water valve first, but if it isn't the valve, other then the ice maker itself, what else is left. I don't have a manual for this frig.
ok , do you have tools to do some checking? i've got about 20 minutes we can do a couple of tests. your valve is in the back where your water line connects to ref..let me know Bryan
yes I have tools and I will get access to the water valve after I send this.
one thing you can try is taking plastic tube off back of ref. where it connects up top to ice make ,it should be top right hand coner of ref. get a bucket and try running it into bucket to see if water is comming out good when ice maker cycles. the other thing is take white cover off front of ice maker itself and make sure the gears dont have a missing tooth. if it has a phillips head screw in the middle of big gear you can take that off and turn the white piece gear was on and when you turn it to a certain spot the water will go into the bucket you put hose in. see if water comes out every time you try it , if it just buzzes and no water comes out replace the valve.hope this helps. Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
I took the white gear off and turned it, but nothing happened. I didn't hear any buzzing and no water came out. When I did turn the white piece, the little gear would also turn. Is it suppose to?
yes you started icemaker by turning center piece. you probably need water valve you can go www.repairclinic.com and find part. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician