Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Whirpool dryer model # XXXXX has no power coming to ...

My Whirpool dryer model # XXXXX has no power coming to the display. We have tested the power into the unit and that tests ok. Does the entire control panel need to be replaced or it is only the circuit board?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 years ago.
let me check model, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 years ago.
you may have blown the thermal fuse, do you have a volt meter? Bryan
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 years ago.
you have to check thermal fuse in back. I'm checking location of part now. Bryan
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 years ago.
It should be in back of dryer behind rear panel . unplug machine remove back and you will see blower asm. theres a little white thermostat on blower . pull wires off and check continuity go to www.repairclinic.com and you can see part # XXXXX thats thermal fuse. let me know. p.s. you can tape the two wires together and see if you get power then. do not leave taped its a saftey fuse thats keeps dryer from catching fire if overheats. thanks bryan
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks Bryan we will try that now.... I'll let you know the outcome
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 years ago.
okay. thanks bryan
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The fuse is good.....
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 years ago.
let me check model for more problems. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 years ago.
go back to website and look at board part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN, check power to board,put one lead to ground and test plug for power, looking at board its on left with five wires going in . see if there is any power to it. if you do you may need board, Bryan
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes on these points we have power - we checked that earlier on
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 years ago.
if you have power and displays not lighting up you probably have a bad board, have you had any power spikes lately? when you have power to board theres a transformer on it that controls led readout and board functions its probably bad but you have to replace board to fix. sorry Bryan
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
We have had some bad lightning here of late.... Is it the circuit board you are referring to? and is there a way to measure whether there is power going to the next board (the displays). There seems to be a cable that connects the circuit board to this one....
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 years ago.

not realy , if board is getting power it should be lighing up display . you can try unpluging ribbon and useing contact cleaner to clean but I doubt it will help , thats all I can come up with. Bryan

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Bryan is it part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 years ago.
yes its expensive though. its real hard to say whether its control board or control panel though. let me see if theres a way to test control panel. Bryan
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 years ago.
you can try to see if theres any power coming out of board to display i guess by unpluging small ribbon and test power out to display . not sure how many volts going out but its probably 24v d.c. cant tell anything by pictures , sometime theres a tech. sheet somewhere in dryer , look for that. Bryan
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
We did that and now where it says 5v on the board, we are not getting any reading. On the two pins marked as "coil" we are getting a reading of 0.05v
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 years ago.
sounds to me like transformer on board is bad, its hard to tell over internet but its sound like your checking right things , 0.05v isnt enough to run display and controls. thats 1/2 volt , thats all I can think of. how old is machine? did you find tech. sheet inside anywhere?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The machine is only 3 years old and there isn't a tech sheet inside anywhere. So I think that we will take your advice and change the circuit board.
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 years ago.
well thats what i would do , unforunatly its expensive. but I think its the board, good luck and let me know, Bryan
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help Bryan - I really appreciate it. I've ordered the board and should receive it early next week and hopefully that does the trick. Have a good day.