Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We have a GE Gas WAll Oven about eight to ten years old and ...

Customer Question
We have a GE Gas...
We have a GE Gas WAll Oven about eight to ten years old and we were baking and it quit and started beeping a code F7???????
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/5/2008
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi this is Bryan , I'll be glad to help. give me a chance to look up code , be right back thanks. Bryan

the oven code may be one of two things, acording to g.e. codes f-7 mean stuck function key or it could mean your clock is bad. or (erc) there is one thing you can try before ordering parts , if your mechancly inclined you can open up
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: Great I will await your answer it is still beeping away???
sorry hit wrong button, open up control panel and unplug ribbon from touch pad and clean with contact cleaner let dry and put back together and try it, shut power off before attempting! if you cant do it let me know, Bryan
do I shut power off at the breaker as when I hit the oven off button a minute later the code comes back on and starts beeping again???
Do I turn off power at the breaker?????
yes shut power off at breaker, there is a test to try and determine which should tell you if its the touch pad or clock, if you can get at the ribbon I mentioned ,unplug ribbon and turn power back on and if it doesn't start beeping and giving you f-7 code its probably the touch pad. be careful not to touch anything or short out any wires, I usually put a screw back in just to hold asm. in place while you test, let me know Bryan
I took the ribbon off and turned power back on and the clock is flashing and no code???? ribbon is still disconnected??
okay it sounds like you need the touch pad membrane with it disconected theres no f-7 because the part that was causing problem is disconected,. shut breaker off and plug ribbon back in. turn on and see if it comes back, sometimes it will be alright. go to radio shack and get some electronics cleaner and spray both the ribbon and plug and see if that takes care of it. if cleaning works you may not need to replace touchpad. hope this helps. thanks Bryan . p.s. feedback is appreciated. thanks again
Well this just might be to cool I just pluged the ribbon in and then turned breaker on and then turned oven on and it looks like its working I have not cleaned ribbon yet. shoule I go ahead and disconnect again and still clean the ribbon with the cleaner?? and do I clean the whole ribbon including the contact part where it plugs in? Also I have here in my house a can of spray electronic cleaner it is speciffically CRC QD Electronic Cleaner I purchase previously for cleaning my trailer hitch plug in?? is it okay or ?? should I be using something else. sorry several part question I am not really a fix it guy I just try but I sure like this new tchnology and your help!!!!
Glenn
hey glen yeah i would go ahead and clean contacts and ribbon , wont hurt, as a matter of fact it might be bad conection causing your problem , it may come back though, cleaning will help. I think contact cleaner you have will work fine , just make sure its dry before turning on breaker, read contact cleaner instructions for dry time. good luck, if you need me just ask. thanks again Bryan
Mission ACCOMPLISHED oven is working you made me look real good to my wife BIG BROWNIE POINTS I might even get lucky tonight!!!!!!

Thanks for the great advice!!!!
Technology can be a wonderful thing.
Next I have take out an old dishwasher and put in the almost new one I purchase a couple of weeks ago that is on my porch...... If I need you again or if there is anything I need to know let me know how I should proceed ???

Thanks again
Glenn
in Alaska its now a Hot 72 degrees hottest day I have seen in 11 months.
thats great! I hope your problem doesnt reapear . If it does at least you know what to do. if it keeps happening you may have to replace touchpad lets hope not. alaska never been there. wish I could someday. good luck and remember feedback is a good thing, thanks again Bryan.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician