Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE Profile slide in gas range. ( model ...

Customer Question
I have a GE Profile...
I have a GE Profile slide in gas range. ( model jgs968toh4ww ) The broiler and top burners work but the the oven does not ( convection or bake ) and temp. reads 100 deg..-----please help
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/5/2008
Appliance Technician: MrBill, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 years ago
MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician

It sounds like you may have a bad ignitor. When you start the oven, in the bottom of the oven you should see an orange glow. If you do not see the orange glow your oven ignitor is more than likely the cause of the issue.

However, it is possible for the oven ignitor to glow and still be bad. If the oven ignitor is not drawing enough current, it will not activate the gas valve. If you have the means to check the amp draw on the ignitor, do this first. It should draw no less than 2.8 amps.

Start with the oven ignitor first. If you have any questions about this please feel free to ask. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

the ignitor has a sleeve around it being held by 2 screws. If i take the 2 screws out does the ignitor come right out.

Yes, once you take out the two screws the whole assembly will come out. The metal shield is part of the ignitor.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about this. Sorry about the delay.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

MrBill
MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician