MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
9256417

Follow Up To Previous Question

Customer Question

Hi Bill,
     Thank you for your response. I have been told, since I posted my question, that the door of the freezer was open the day the water was found on the floor. A couple of days after I posted my question the freezer and ice maker started again. The temp on the door is staying a constant 8 degrees. However, there is a build up of frost on the back of the freezer. Would it be ok to leave the door ajar temporarily to let the frost melt. If not what other option do I have. The fridge is only one year old so I tend to believe my problem was caused by the door being left open accidentally. At least I hope so. I appreciate any information you can provide.

Thank you again and have a nice day.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 9 years ago.

You would have to leave the door open a few hours for all the frost to melt. It also has to melt behind the rear panel as well. If there was enough frost from the door being left open this could still be the cause of the problem. The defrost cycle will only run for so long. If there was too much frost from the door being left open, it may not have completely defrosted and not able to "catch up" I would leave the door open for a few hours and run a hair dryer into the lower vents in the rear of the freezer.

Be sure that it has completely defrosted. Then from there the machine will operator as normal. If however this happens again, then you need to have the defrost system checked.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about this. Thanks Again for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill