How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bernard S. Your Own Question
Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 1220
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bernard S. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Caloric Corp gas range if 1980s vintage. It ...

Customer Question

I have a Caloric Corp gas range if 1980''s vintage. It was used on natural gas and I am trying to convert to LP gas. on the stove it says to convert the orifices to LP gas that you turn the orifice in or out to adjust for the type of gas. It seems they don''t need to be changed? The orifice is immediately off the heat contr
ol valve and when you unscrew the orfice cap there is an orifice "jet" remaining in the connection port.
Can yu advise in procedure? [email protected] .net
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 9 years ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer.

If you are reading the original instructions be sure to check to see if they require you to adjust the gas regulator also.

The orifices that you see on the burners should come out and then you simply turn them upside down and put them back. This was common on their ranges back then. Just be sure that you have the original owners (or installation) manual that you are referencing. Not all were that way.

Let me know how you make out.

If you need any more information please post the model number so that I will be able to look at what you are seeing. You will find this when you pull out the storage drawer (or broiler if not a self-clean model). It will be on the cabinet where the drawer meets it. From that time period I think it's on a metal plate (could be a sticker).


Bernard S. and 2 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thankyou for your answer.
The model number is XXXXX UW
I am doubting the instruction manual I got with the stove because the change over kit seems so out of place.
The instruction book speaks of the gas valve change and the diagram seems to be right. It tells you to reverse the inside mechanism as you described for the burners.
I loked again at the jets in the burner valve that are visable after you take the orifice cap off. The jet does not easily come out or turn. It has three prongs on it that seem to wedge the jet in the brass port. I didn't want to apply much pressure with the pliers in fear of damaging the jet. Customer
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 9 years ago.


I looked to see if I could find something more definitive in a diagram or literature. I haven't been too successful.

Some of these models literally just fell out when you turned the assembly upside down and tap them.

There was a model that took an allen wrench in the middle and would screw out. Does yours look anything like that? I'm sorry I can't remember exactly how this model's orifices are replaced.

Also, if another set of orfices were needed they would have been attached to the range in the back usually by the regulator. They usually are found many years later still there. They can be in a small envelope, plastic bag and sometimes they were attach to piece of sheet metal and screwed to the cabinet.

I checked the regulator and there seems to have been only one. That means you would adjust regulator (down) after you do the orifice replacement.

I could not find any LP kits for that model (most parts are no longer available).

I just realized that this is a 20" model (apartment size), right. So, almost all of these were made by Peerless (at least for the last 15 years or more). If we get jammed we may be able to go there for replacement orifices. I will see if I have a Peerless to look at today at the shop and that may also trigger a memory on how to remove the orifice.

I'll get back to you either later today or tonight on what I find.



Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I found a sticker on the stove beside the Model number that says"unit adjusted for use with natural gas at 5"wc. Orifice hoods must be screwed tight when LP gas used."
A second note saying "Unit is adjusted for LP gas at 10"wc. For use with Natural Gas hoods must be adjusted to obtain specified output."
From that I suppose there is no change in orifice required to convert to LP gas. I simply need to turn the orifice hoods ( caps) tight and they are set for LP gas. The hoods were turned out a couple threads for Nat Gas and the hoods turn tighter assuming this is the adjustment for Propane.
Would you concure?

I have turned the gas pressure valve insert around according to directions to accommodate LP gas. Customer
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 9 years ago.


Thank you for your patience. I appologize for not getting back to you sooner.

I didn't find a Peerless at the shop and we were real busy the last two days.

Yes, that is the procedure. This is one I haven't seen in a bit.

You will be able to adjust flame as you see it. This allows more adjustment and allows for more fluctuation (from the LP regulator).