Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My washer agitates but does not spin

my washer agitates but does not spin
6/2/2008
MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician

I will be happy to help, what is the model number to the machine?

Thanks

Model 110   20622990
Ser   CK (###) ###-####
Type 111

Ok, the first thing we need to check is the lid switch. There is a little post that sticks down from the lid. this post goes down and activates the lid switch. Look down in that whole that the post goes into. If you can see down the hole, its broken. If the tab is blocking the hole we can go from there. Number 11 on the diagram is the part i'm talking about.

After you press the accept button you will still be able to follow up with this repair.

Let me know what you find

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!!

I could see down the hole, I was able to put my hand under the rim and hold the tab up but it did not stay up

There you go. You have a bro***** *****d switch. Is this something you want to repair yourself?

I would like to repair it myself if I can, or is this too hard for an old lady like me.

I will let you make the decision. But I will tell you that the whole cabinet will have to be removed to replace the machine. This can be a dificult task because of the cabinet being big and oddly shaped. I have worked on machine in the past where the lid switch has been bypassed. I have seen customers take out the two screws the hold it to the underside of the lid. where you can access the wires that run to the switch. Then cut the switch off and wire the two wires together that go to the switch. The machine will think the lid is always closed. The only thing you will have to worry about if you decide to do this is remember that when the machine is in spin cycle, it won't stop when you open the lid. Other than that you can do without the switch.

Let me know if this information has been helpful to you. And remember to please press the accept button. After you press the accept button you will still be able to ask me questions about your appliance repair.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
MrBill
MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician