How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Home Smithy Your Own Question
The Home Smithy
The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 9623
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
The Home Smithy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I installed a pump on my Maytag dishwasher & it ...

Customer Question

I installed a pump on my Maytag dishwasher & it leaked. My fave parts place has sent me a new gasket and screws, plus some odd shaped metal (?) pieces to put the screws through. (They called them small gaskets.) Which way do they go on? (full section on top? half section on bottom? half section aimed out or inward? half section inside or outside the larger circular gasket? Thanks a lot. -- Lee, the lady who repairs (some of) her own appliances.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 9 years ago.

Hi Lee;

Ok to quote a favorite actor of mine "what we have failure to communicate" (Im tryin to be funny here. Am I succeding?). At least as to what these 'gaskets' look like. I am envisioning a moon shaped cresent with two holes in it that is only half as thick on one side as the other.

Ok so much for my bad comedy act.

Is there a link to these parts that you may have? If not could you provide a picture of them and the pump? I can tell you how to upload them here to our servers. The model number of the unit would help greatly also.

Awaiting your reply; THS

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
They're oddly enough square! The larger gasket I know goes between the pump assembly and the metal bin that's the inside of the dishwasher, but inside or outside of these screws? (I had thought outside.)

Here are pix of the parts that came...whoops, can't get 'em to upload. They're JPEGS. Any ideas??

Oh, it's a WC 700.
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 9 years ago.

Ok here is how you upload them-

At the top of your reply box is a icon that looks like a tree. It is two to the right of the smiley.

Click on the icon. It will bring up a box.

Click on browse. Another box will appear.

Click on browse again in that box.

Navigate to the place in your computer where the picture is. Select it, and then in the second box click on upload.

The second box will disapear. (it must dissappear before you continue)

In the first box click on insert.

This will upload your picture, and you should see it displayed in your reply box.

Repeat the process to upload another picture.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Well, heck. I've tried uploading it as a Jpeg, Jpeg2000, png, and gif and it keeps telling me they're not the accepted file types (jpeg, gif and png)! I'm on an iMac with Preview for my image software so I think we're stuck with words and links. First, this link shows that larger gasket: . Here's how my pump looks: . And the gasket goes under that lowest set of screw holes, which is where these weird little "screw gaskets" come in. Then the screws are typical of Maytag (the hex ones; I have a special hex thingy just for my Maytag stuff). The weird part is the extra things that the screws go through. They're metallic, have a screw hole in the center, but are like a wide postage stamp shape, folded halfway under as if to make a small, regular postage stamp size. The folded under half-way part stops just at the screw hole. I can't tell whether to put the thicker segment facing outward or inward, and whether the gasket goes inside or outside the screws.(I sure thought it went outside, so the tightening would be more firmly in place "pre-screw" inside the machine. (If all else fails, I can reinstall several ways and just get sprayed in the face a few more times!) Sorry this website isn't letting me send the photos!
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 9 years ago.
What you can do is upload them to After the pictures upload just copy the url and post it here.