Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Maytag Model MDE7057AYW drier that wont ...

Customer Question
I have a Maytag Model...
I have a Maytag Model MDE7057AYW drier that won''t turn off. I purchased and installed a new timer thinking the 8 yr. old timer was faulty. The unit still won''t turn off. The timer does not advance on "more dry" or when set a a specific time drying interval.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/10/2008
Appliance Technician: Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales replied 9 years ago
Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales

HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Check the door switch for both voltage and ohms. Your description of the problem leads there.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

bernie

HiCustomer

Also, the relay on the motor (which acts as a switch) should be checked.

This site will help explain more -

http://www.applianceaid.com/test_with_ohmmeter.html

bernie

Reply to Bernard S.'s Post: THE CHALLENGE IS NOT THAT THE DRIER WON'T RUN. IT RUNS WELL.

PROBLEM IS THAT THE TIMER WON'T ADVANCE FOR SOME REASON AND THE TIMER IS NEW. WON'T ADVANCE ON A TIME SETTING OR IN THE "MORE DRY" / "LESS DRY" MODE.

Hi stymart,

ok, the door switch will not let the time advance....

bernie

Hi stymart,

please check the two items and let me know what you find .....

will do
I'll check back later.
Motor relay working fine.

Door switch volts is 115VAC - don't know the ohms. Is working fine. When switch plunger is in - start button engages the system and all turns on. When switch plunger is out - all systems stop.

The system has a moisture monitor as well.
Appliance Technician: Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 years ago
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician

HelloCustomer

Do this - - set dryer on a no heat setting , put timer on a timed cycle ( not any automatic cycle ) I want you to check the voltage at the timer On the timer is a round motor with two wires that connect to the body of the timer , you should have 120 volts on these wires > If you do the new timer is defective. If not, make sure you haven't mixed up a wire when you replaced it.

Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician