Chuck G.
Chuck G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 Yrs. Experience in the appliance repair field
8049636

Replacing heating element in a Lowes hot water heater - ENVI-RO-TEMP.

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Inactive replied 9 years ago.
can you tell me exactly what it is that you need to know? once you give me this information, I will be more than happy to help you out.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
husband bought a heating element for the bottom of the water heater. usally can fix anything but he can't get old one out to put new one in. Is there a special tool or is he just not doing something right?
Expert:  Inactive replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic

You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal On-Line “Electrical Consultant”

*****Click here to view my profile*****

as a matter of fact, there is a special tool to take out heating elements. you will find this tool in the plumbing section right next to the replacement heating elements for your waterheaters.

Please see picture below for what this looks like:

graphic

This will cost you about 10 to 15 bucks at Home Depot or Lowe's.

***I am a Verified state "Licensed" electrical contractor, not an internet researcher - I will work hard to give you the exact answers you seek and work you through any problem you may have***

Please press the “Accept” button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services.

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Have another electrical question?

Bookmark my profile page by adding me to your favorites.

Click Here: Contact Electric Doctor ----- A Just Answer Verified Electrical Expert!!!

Don’t forget to put “Question for Electric Doctor” in the Subject line!!!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
we have that tool but it will not budge. Got any ideas on what were doing wrong? he says it won't turn at all.
Expert:  Inactive replied 9 years ago.

*****Click here to view my profile*****

personally, I have never run into this problem. So in order for you to get the best answer possible using this site, I am going to opt out of this question to allow a more experienced expert deal with your specific problem. Good luck!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 9 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for using justanswer for your appliance questions!

This element is super tight!

You will need a socket and a breaker bar to remove the element. Take the element to lowes , home depot, or sears and buy a socket that will fit. I use a 24" breaker bar to remove these. That little tool will not get it.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you need more assistance or if you have any questions.
Thank you for using justanswer.com

Chuck G.
__________________
Please " ACCEPT " when your question has been completely answered so I may be compensated.
PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!
Positive Feedback is very important, That is how we get rated! Bonuses are appreciated!