How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DennisH Your Own Question
DennisH
DennisH, Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 198
Experience:  14 years with current appliance repair company
9105687
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
DennisH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ge microwawe shuts down after about 2sec. clocks works

This answer was rated:

my ge microwawe shuts down after about 2sec. clocks works

HelloCustomer

Do You have the model number available?

Dennis

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I DO IT IS JVM1440SH01
Customer

When it shuts off does the control go blank at the same time?

Dennis

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
IT DOES BUT IT SHOWS POPCICLE STICKS IN DISPLAY CASE
Customer

I have seen this quite a few times, the Magnetron (transmitter in the microwave that heats the food) has a gasket on it, the magnetron emmits a radio frequency to cook/warm Your food. When this gasket leaks the signals hit the back of the control and cause it to shut down. The gasket can only be purchased with the magnetron, and the board rarely survives the abuse from that leak. You more often than not need to replace both parts, allthough You can start with the Magnetron and see what happens, the good news is that if the microwave was purchased less than 5 years ago some or all of the repair could be covered by the MFG.

Let Me know what You find in Your owners manual for warranty coverage and if You would like to continue with fixing the Microwave Yourself.

I do want to warn You, the circuit that needs repaired (Magnetron replacemnt) is producing 4000 volts of direct current, This not only hurts if You become the conductor but also is likely to be fatal and it can hold a charge so even if You unplug the unit You can still get shocked....bad.

Dennis

DennisH and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you