Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My brand new (first season using) Goodman furnace ...

Customer Question
My brand new (first season...
My brand new (first season using) Goodman furnace makes a loud bang noise at times just before the blower goes off. Serviceman says it''s the two stage furnace. Can''t be or else it would happen all the time. Seems like it''s the loudest after running quietly for a length of time. It''s like something has to build up before the noise is loud. There is no gas leak but somehow it seems like a backfire.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Appliance
4/6/2008
Appliance Technician: DennisH, Appliance Technician replied 9 years ago
DennisH
DennisH, Appliance Technician

HelloCustomer

What You are probably hearing is the duct work expanding or contracting, like a cap on a bottle when You open it the pressure changes and the cap pops, the sheetmetal duct work can do this also BUT since the ducts are larger instead of just a little pop its more of a boom with a rattle sounds almost like thunder a short rumble.

I commonly seen this with new furnace installed on older ducts if You look at are larger square duct on one of its flat sides You should see an X crease to give it stability if they do not have any the noise would be fairly annoying.

Hope this helps if not please respond

Dennis

DennisH
DennisH, Appliance Technician
The duct work is new and rather large since it had to accomodate a smaller furnace. This could be the problem since there are no creases. I guess I just have to live with it. I guess I was worried that some thing was going to blow up. Thank you.
Your welcome
DennisH
DennisH
DennisH, Appliance Technician