Jesse Long
Jesse Long, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained and Warranty Certified for GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, Speed Queen, Amana, Electrolux
7171957

I have a Maytag washer model #lat5914aal. It suddenly has a ...

Customer Question

I have a Maytag washer model #lat5914aal. It suddenly has a slow drip into the tub on the inside from the water inlet hot side when the machine is not running. Whats the likely problem? How do I get the top off (without damaing it) far enough to get access to the waterfill inlet/solenoid or whatever may be causing the problem? What all has to come off or be loosened before I can get to the problem? Does the front have to come off before I can get the top off or loose to get access? Where are parts (if needed) available? Do I need specialty tools? Is this a repair that even a Pollock can do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jesse Long replied 9 years ago.
Hi!
Haha, I like your Pollock reference. The problem and fix is easier than you think. If you slide the unit out and look where the hoses attach, this is where you will need to work. The problem is with your water solenoid, and this is what you need to repair it.

First, remove the hoses. Now, if you look, there is a metal bracket that attaches to the frame the the hoses attach to. There is a screw holding on the metal bracket. Remove this screw to remove the bracket. This will give you access to the water solenoid. There are two plastic plugs with wires going into the solenoid. Make sure that before you remove the wire plugs, you either take pictures or write/draw it on paper so that you don't confuse them later. Now disconnect the wires, then disconnect the rubber tube. You can then hold the bracket and solenoid in your hand. Take out the one or two screws holding on the solenoid.
Now just reverse the steps to put it all back on!

If you have any questions, please post them here. If not, please click accept. If you are satisfied, please leave me feedback so that I know how I am doing.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
I want a second opinion

I'm sorry that you don't believe me. This is the only thing it can be. I will opt out so that someone else can answer, and even if they answer the same, they will get the credit.