Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

What furnaces are the most reliable and best deal for the

Customer Question
money...
what furnaces are the most reliable and best deal for the money
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/4/2008
Appliance Technician: macleaner, Mechanic replied 9 years ago
macleaner
macleaner, Mechanic

HI Jmaxima,

What are you looking to do? Replace what you have? Is it 80% or 90%? Is it for your own home? Do you plan on living there forever? If you can give me some idea on what you are doing I can stear you in the right direction.

Reply to Keith's Post: I'm looking to purchase a 95% efficient furnace and an 14 SEER AC for my home. We plan on living there at least 10 years. We're replacing the original 1965 furnace (50-55% efficient) and the 1983 AC. We found a good combo deal on some Goodman models, but are leary of some of the negative consumer feedback on Goodman though involving break downs.

Hi Jmaxima,

To be honest with you, half of the system breakdown's are due to poor installation and that's it. Most unit's are made on the same assembly line with different sticker's. I have put alot of Goodman unit's in and had no problem's, again I have put in alot of Trane or Lennox unit's and had problem's and then no problem's. So I would have no problem recommending the Goodman name at all. For the price of it as well you will save money right off the bat.

macleaner
macleaner, Mechanic

Hi Jamaxima,

Your question had already been answered by me. But some how it has changed to a different catagory. Is there any thing else that you wanted to know about this or any other equipment you were looking at? Just let me know.

Reply to macleaner's Post: I'm wondering how I can find out about a contracter I'm considering going with, specifically about the quality of their installers? I've checked with the BBB and they are a member with a satifatory rating but I'm a little skepital because their name is***** and their quote is much lower than any of the others.

Hi JMaxima,

Tell me what part of the country you are in and maybe some kind of fiqure's you are looking at. I still do sell, install and service HVAC so I know what the prices should be. If the one guy is that much lower (how much is much) Then we can look at it together to determine.

Reply to macleaner's Post: I'm in Minnesota. I was quoted on the Goodman 95% 67 output btu furnace and the Goodman 2 Ton 14 Seer AC. Warranty is 1 years service, 10 year parts, 20 yr heat exchanger. The furnace is $2895, AC is $2415 - a combined furnace/AC company rebate of $1000. The final cost with the power company rebates figured in is $5220...not counting an electrician fee of $250 and media filter($150).

The next best quote we received was through the local power company with a 95% 2 stage Ruud furnace and 13 Seer Ruud AC for a total of $6756. Included are a 5 year parts and 5 year labor warranty, $150 electrical fee, all discounts and rebates but not including any filter upgrade fees.

JMaxima,

Did you by chance get a 3rd quote? So in reality the Goodman Co. is charging you $6220.00 then you get a $1000 back? And that is 14 Seer not 13 Seer? It just sound's to me the electric company is just High. The Goodman dealer seem's right where he should be.

Well actually I got 5 quotes all together. I received a similar Goodman package to the one listed above, plus a 10 year parts and labor warranty for $7,400. I also recieved 2 Lennox packages, both 95% Furnace, 14 Seer AC, and 10 yr parts and labor for $7000 and $8700.

With the original Goodman dealer I'm getting the $1,000 discount for purchasing both the furnace and AC at the same time, and yes a 14 Seer rated AC included with that quote.
I would say with five estimates and he is the lowest? I would be leary too, but if you feel comfortable with hime? The company has been in business for a long time? Then go with him.
It's been in business for 10 years. I'm thinking of inviting the sales Rep back to our house and inquiring about the costs of extending the service warranty to 10 years, their installers, and also asking for a few consumer references....my wife needs to hear him again too I think so she can get her feel of the company.
Good idea, that way you fell comfortable with them it is your money so I would do that as well. Keep in touch let me know how they do.
macleaner
macleaner
macleaner, Mechanic