Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

My mother owns 2 - 12 setting & service piece - pure silver…

Customer Question
My mother owns 2...

My mother owns 2 - 12 setting & service piece - pure silver - silverware. What is the value of it?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I know that back in 1998, she purchased a fork for $100. The silverware has been in her family for over 100 years.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Both sets are in a lined silverware box.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Antiques
5/31/2018
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 2 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! Doris here. I will be pleased to work with you. My responses are not immediate. I thank
you for your patience. I am reviewing the question.

OK.

There is a huge variance in values among patterns.

I need the following for each set. Pictures do not come through to me in the order sent so you will need to designate which marks/patterns go with your description of the pieces.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?
If so, then -
Please send ONE photo of ONE fork showing the pattern.
Please send a photo of the marks, labels and/or words on the reverse of the fork.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.
If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.
An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

"Complete Sets" come in many different sizes.
Please tell me the following -
How many people does your set serve? (These are called place settings.)
How many pieces does each person have?
What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.

!!!!!Please do not send photos of the whole set. I cannot tell what pieces are in a set via such a photo!!!!

Kind regards,
Doris

OK. I will take pictures tonight.

The is absolutely no hurry at this end.