Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a few pieces of Royal Doulton Figurines that were…

Customer Question
I have a few...

I have a few pieces of Royal Doulton Figurines that were purchased in England in the early 40's\. My father was military and they were stationed in London. I have always been curious about the value of three particular pieces. Could you help me with that?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Welll, im really not sure, i know these pieces that my Mother selected, as she was told, were limited in production, and that although they are considered separate pieces, they can be viewed and considered a set. Then there is also a third piece.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Antiques
5/30/2018
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 2 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! Doris here. I will be pleased to work with you. My responses are not immediate. I thank
you for your patience. I am reviewing the question.

Please tell me the approximate size in inches of each of three (only three) figurines.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the three (only) figurines.

Please send a photo of the identification marks, labels and/or words on the three figurines.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris

Thank you. Would you like the information about the pieces?
If so, please let me get them here. It will take only a moment

See my last response for what I need.

hello Doris, I was explaining that my cell was stolen and i cant send a photo, however my mother had had these in glass encasements for over 50 years and i believe they have been moved maybe twice. Of course they have been moved for dusting and son on but there has been absolutely no handling of the pieces for any extended period of time. There are no\ chips, no scratches, no dings, no chips...bacsically, there is nothing at all wrong with either of them.
The first one is: "Uncle Ned" HN 2094 COPR 1951, Doulton & co.;Limited. rd no 864842, rd no 29154, rd no 6402, rd no 110/51The Second is: "Forty Winks"
H.N. 1974 Rd No 842483 corp 1945 Doulton & Co. LiimitedI can also tell you that on the bottom of these two pieces, where the Royal Doutton symbol is, just on the lower right of the symbol on both pieces are two distinctive burgandy-colored dots.If there is anything else that you need from me or from these two pieces, please do not hesitate to contact me.
My name is***** my number is(###) ###-#### I live in San Antonio, Texas and these were just two of the many pieces that my parents accumulated on their tours in the Military overseas. I have a number of other things that they acquired overseas, and perhaps I would like to have some information on them as well. Thank you so much for your assistance, andi I certainly look forward to hear about my items. i hope to hear from you soon.Sincerely,
Michael Poor

Michael,

I do not participate in the phone call services. The ad for a call was auto-generated by the site, not me.
I will still continue to work with you in writing an answer you can print out at no extra cost.

Please allow a bit of time for me to research these figurines and type my complete final answer.

These are the estimated retail value of your figurines without original boxes. If original packaging is present, then add $30-45.

Uncle Ned, HN2094, 1951 - $100-125

Forty Winks, HN1974 - $150-200

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com or nextdoor.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

How to Rate a Professional:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?
This does not cost you extra.

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************