Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a piece, looks to be a type of vase, that belonged to…

Customer Question
I have a piece...

I have a piece, looks to be a type of vase, that belonged to my grandmother (born in 1898). It looks like ivory to me, very intricate detail but no markings on it. There is a partial very old note inside of it to my grandmother and mentions the year 1807 (probably when it was made). May I send you a picture of it?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Not that I can think of. I'm waiting for the picture of it to come through and I will send it to you.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files or UPLOAD or attachments feature next to the SEND button to add photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture at a time, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

I'm not sure how to do this but I'll try.

Here are a few different options for sending pictures. The availability of each feature depends on which browser
(Safari, Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer) you are using and whether you are on a desktop or a phone.

1) Use the +Add Files or UPLOAD feature next to the red SEND button on in the area where you write back to me
to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.

2) Use the paperclip icon above the texting area where you reply.
The photos will upload when you add at least one word in the text box.
You won't see the photo, but the paperclip will turn green.

3) You can email the pictures to***@******.*** with
"forCustomerquot; in the subject line of the email and they
will forward them to me (please include the link to your question page).This way takes 24-48 hours.

No, thank you.
Please cancel my trial of Just Answer. It's not going to work for me.

I was able to get more specific instructions from the site for adding photos.

Use the small blue document icon where you would write back to me if you are on desktop or tablet or the blue camera icon if you are on mobile.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture at a time, put a word in the text field, hit send, then do the next.