Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I’m trying to find the maker of this couch. I bought it in…

Customer Question
Greetings, I’m trying to...

Greetings, I’m trying to find the maker of this couch. I bought it in the 80s when I was living in Hollywood from a 99 year old Lithuanian who spoke no English (except his age. .

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

How do I upload an image?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It is a curved couch that was cream colored brocade originally.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
5/27/2018
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 3 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I will be happy to help you

If it is not marked there is no way to know who made it, if you can send a picture, I can find a value for you.

THanks. I sent an image. Did you get it?

Where did you send it to?

This is how to send images so I can see them.

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then Click the link: for instructions on uploading images, Be sure to be signed into Google Chrome in order for this link to work, if not signed into Google Chrome, then you have to copy and paste the link in your browser.
.
ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
.
If your pictures are on a phone, plug the phone into the computer, then you can upload to the site right from the phone, the phone will be treated as a removable drive.
.
Or you can use this site, then forward the link from your pictures to the messsage area.
https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/210076663-Upload-Images
.

Or you can send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Wow what a great Mid Century Modern Sofa, this is great. What material is this covered in?

When I found it, it was covered in a cream silk brocade. I had it recovered first in this blue, and then in a black fake leather. The creme on the legs in this image was original.

Thank you,

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The Mid century Modern Sofa has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00 if sold at an auction it would sell for a little less, at around $650.00-800.00, if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $1600.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $1600.00
.

Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating..

Can you show me some of the other couches of this caliber that you are using as comparable?

Hello

I am sorry I cannot do that, we appraisers pay substantial fees to access data bases in order to have the most up to date values of items that have sold in the past 12 months, these values are taken from antique shops, resell shops, large auction houses and internet sales. These sites are copyrighted so we are not allowed to share this information.

The value I gave you are what these Mid Century Modern curved sofa's have sold for in the past 12 months.

.

.
.
Glenda,
.
.
.
.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question. I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.

Thank you
Glenda

Well, actually, what I was looking for from you were images of similar works of mine and what they were selling for. For Instance I found a Weiman sofa, very similar to mine for $8,475

Hello

I am sorry, this came into the appraisal category, I assumed you wanted a value for it. There is no data base that lists just sofa's that are listed for sale, we pay to access data bases of sold items, these are taken from online sales, auctions, shops and anywhere else recorded sales are. I am sorry these have not sold higher, we have no control of sold prices.

.

Yes, the Weiman 's are valued that high, they rarely sell that high. The name is ***** ***** them so expensive, the sofa's without know designer names do not bring near that amount of money. The Mid Century Modern Designer name and marked sofa's are quite high at times, in the right place.

Glenda