Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

This question was asked in 2011: I have a unique piece of…

Customer Question
This question was asked in...
This question was asked in 2011:
I have a unique piece of furniture that has a marble top, a top drawer labeled "SCILL AE: R" and "NICOTIANA", with a space in the middle, and a bottom drawer. It appears quite old. It is 33" tall X 18" X 14". Do you know what this was used as, and is there any value to it? I could email a photo if that would help.
And this was the reply:How totally cool! You have a Victorian styled apothecary cabinet for Alcohol Extract of Scilla (used as an expectorant or purgative) and for the extract of Tobacco, basically....both of these homeopathic remedies were generally used for treating a variety of illnesses-- tobacco is an important medicine in homeopathy for various minor ailments, such as dizziness, motion sickness, diarrhea, and dry cough, as well as numerous serious conditions, such as angina, stroke, cancer, chronic respiratory ailments, and Meniere's disease. The marble on the top is generally used so a balance (scale) can be placed steadily for accurate dispensation of doses. The current retail on your vintage cabinet stand is from $550 to $950. Hope it was worth the trouble....by the way, your new password ***** apothecary --please change it to something else. Best, Will
I bought the exact same piece yesterday at an estate sale for $30.00. I was wondering what the value is from what you said in 2011 to today in 2018?
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Antiques
5/27/2018
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 29 days ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I will be happy to help you

What is it you are wanting to know?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
This question was asked in 2011:
I have a unique piece of furniture that has a marble top, a top drawer labeled "SCILL AE: R" and "NICOTIANA", with a space in the middle, and a bottom drawer. It appears quite old. It is 33" tall X 18" X 14". Do you know what thiswas used as, and is there any value to it? I could email a photo if that would help.
I bought the exact same piece yesterday at an estate sale for $30.00. I was wondering what the value is from what you said in 2011 to today in 2018?27 May 2018 07:33Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique ExpertMy name is***** will be happy to help you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------27 May 2018 07:33Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique ExpertWhat is it you are wanting to know?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Can't you see the original question that I submitted?

Yes, I can see the question you submitted, I just do not know what it is you are wanting today.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
How totally cool! You have a Victorian styled apothecary cabinet for Alcohol Extract of Scilla (used as an expectorant or purgative) and for the extract of Tobacco, basically....both of these homeopathic remedies were generally used for treating a variety of illnesses-- tobacco is an important medicine in homeopathy for various minor ailments, such as dizziness, motion sickness, diarrhea, and dry cough, as well as numerous serious conditions, such as angina, stroke, cancer, chronic respiratory ailments, and Meniere's disease. The marble on the top is generally used so a balance (scale) can be placed steadily for accurate dispensation of doses. The current retail on your vintage cabinet stand is from $550 to $950. Hope it was worth the trouble....by the way, your new password ***** apothecary --please change it to something else. Best, Will

I would need to see this Cabinet, because I cannot go back to this question to see any pictures. Can you send pictures?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
How do I attach them here?

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then Click the link: for instructions on uploading images, Be sure to be signed into Google Chrome in order for this link to work, if not signed into Google Chrome, then you have to copy and paste the link in your browser.
.
ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
.
If your pictures are on a phone, plug the phone into the computer, then you can upload to the site right from the phone, the phone will be treated as a removable drive.
.
Or you can use this site, then forward the link from your pictures to the messsage area.
https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/210076663-Upload-Images
.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
https://mmlafleur.imgur.com/all/

Hi'

That link did not work, sorry it just says :

Welcome to MMLaFleur's profile!

Unfortunately, there's nothing to see here.

Hello

Thank you, ***** ***** this up be right back