Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Estimated value for Walkerhall Sheffield England chaffing…

Customer Question
Estimated value for Walkerhall...

Estimated value for Walkerhall Sheffield England chaffing dish 51881 A. 2 over 64

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Estimated value of Walkerhall Sheffield England silver chafing dish , mark 51881 A. 2 over 64

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Antiques
5/26/2018
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Do you have a picture of the mark you can send?

.

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

No

Hi. Thank you for the picture. That's great.

.

Sorry I'm just responding. I had a bit of a glitch and couldn't reply to you right away. If you'll give me just a few minutes, I can help you with the date and value on your piece.

~Diana

Hi. Thank you for all your patience.

.

Walker and Hall was founded in 1845 in Sheffield by ***** *****. ***** ***** joined in 1853. They operated as Walker and Hall until 1920 when they became a LTD company. They eventually became part of British Silverware in 1963.

.

51881 is your pattern number. Given the mark style on the bottom of your piece, your chaffing dish should date to the 1920s. It's a neat art deco style silver plate chaffing dish.

.

Given the age and pattern, it should be worth about $400 to $500. At auction you can expect about 1/2 that. It'll have an insurance value of $700

.

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Charish are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though. Etsy actually has one of the lowest current rates.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great day.
~Diana

Hi. I was just touching base to see if you need anything else? I was wondering if you had any more questions or if there was something wrong with my answer?

.

Best Wishes,
Diana