Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an 8R Carolus IIII silver coin, dated 1798. Looking…

Customer Question
I have an 8R...

I have an 8R Carolus IIII silver coin, dated 1798. Looking at the web site, I found that it has the Mexico mark (M with a small o over it), 8R, and has F dot M on the back side of the coin. The coin is in average to good condition considering its age, with the proper columns and shield under the crown on the back. I can send pictures of the coin and I would like to sell the item. Can you give me an idea of what it should bring, and where I can find a reputable dealer for purchase. Kent Didriksen,***@******.***. Thanks in advance for your help

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I have a 1798 8R Carolus IIII silver coin and am trying to determine the value and also, find a reputable deal who might be interested in purchasing the coin.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
4/3/2018
Antique Expert: ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser replied 3 months ago
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser

Thanks for the question! In average circulated condition, a 1798 silver 8 reales from the Mexico City Mint would sell for $70 to $100. For finding a dealer, I recommend looking for a member of the American Numismatic Association (https://www.money.org/find-a-dealer) and most dealers have an interest in this type of coin because similar ones circulated in early America.

Again, thank you! Let me know if I can be of further help and please rate my professionalism using the 5-star system.

Hello! Following-up because I saw you reviewed the answer I prepared for you but you elected not to rate it. Is there any additional information that I can provide?

Rating using the 5-star system is the only way that JustAnswer recognizes experts and it closes the question. It does not cost you anything additional.

If you need help rating, please see: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl)

Again, thank you!