Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Is there a way I can submit a photo to this chat? I have an…

Customer Question
Is there a way...

Is there a way I can submit a photo to this chat? I have an antique (oak, I think) side chair, armless but large for an antique. The back is a carved fave, open mouth (mouth is actually a hole in the chair), tongue protruding, pointed ears. Looks like pictures Ive seen online of Stabellen carved face chairs

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I'm trying to assess it's value, but I can't figure out exactlt what it is. I was told it was a black forest chair when I bought it (from a woman on craigslist in seattle in 2010), but even then I was pretty sure that it isn't black forest because it's legs are straight and plain

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 4 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

did you receive my photos?

This is a carved oak Black Forest stabellen chair made circa 1910. German chairs with this form are sometimes called Galgenstabellen or Gallows chairs, based on the form of the back support area.

This chair is valued at $175 resale.

Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are www.loveseat.com (in CA),
Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), http://www.revueconsignment.com/ (in Ohio),
Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission.
***Please take a moment to click the five stars. Bonuses are also welcome! ***