Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

We are looking to purchase a Raingo Fres clock today and…

Customer Question
Hi we are looking...

Hi we are looking to purchase a Raingo Fres clock today and need to know more information

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It is gilt solid bronze and is a louis xvi. Every one we have found online has marble which i was told come post 1900. This is in fine condition and everything is working.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Hello

Expert's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I already sent my question

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Antiques
4/1/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

The Raingo Freres company of Paris had different marks and labels at different periods in their history. A circular stamped logo would date to 1845-1850, an oval stamped lettering is 1850, a hand-lettered label is 1880. I have added pictures so that you can compare to the clock you are purchasing. Having marble or not does not determine date of post 1900.

These are valuable clocks no matter when they were made, ranging from $2000 and up depending on decoration and age. Feel free to add photos or give me more information so that I can let you know the value of this specific clock.

To end this one, please click the five stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

I had already found the information you sent to me.

This clock dates to 1870 to 1880 based on this style and dial shown. You did not add a photo of the mark but the estimated date is based on this shape that was used with white onyx and Griotte de Campan Rouge marble and some with just the Griotte de Campan Rouge marble during these years. The value of this clock with missing movement door (?) is $5000 to $6500 retail.

These all built with clear glass backs and it is all intact as i said before. You are telling us everything we have learned on our own. The marble ones I have seen go between $9000-$18000. And it appears to be built in 1850s due to the signature on the face.

An 1850 Raingo Freres gilt ormolu and rouge marble mantel clock

in perfect working condition is valued at $11,000 to $13,000 retail.

I'm trying to tell you that the picture isn't the same one. Yes the picture has marble but the clock I'm asking about is only gilt bronze and not marble. But looks the same as the picture. So I need to know what the clock is worth if it is solid bronze gilt with no marble on it?
it works perfectly and it's all original

That was not clear in your writing. Let's start over.

A Raingo Freres Paris Louis XVI style clock, circa 1850-1860, enameled dial with makers name and Roman numerals, gilt bronze case (no marble) surmounted with laurel wreath with arrows, quiver, torch and scrolled leaves with a brass time and strike spring driven movement (should be stamped Raingo Freres, Paris) with glass bezel rear door has a value of $8,000 to $9500 retail.

Why do some that we see that are identical in appearance, other than them having marble, selling higher? I would assume that the one we are looking at is more rare since we find the marble ones easily. Some we have seen on ebay are going for 18,000 usd.

When doing research on your own it is best to look at actual sales and not what sellers are asking.

That is not a reflection of true value. There is a SOLD box in the left-hand side on Ebay, for example,

where you can search for what items have sold for recently.

Other sites do not have that feature but I have access to four paid databases that show recent sales

for Raingo Freres clocks and this $8k to $9500 is the average that I've come up with from this research.

What is missing from MY equation is the advantage of having a visual of the actual clock you are buying, the marks, etc.

What is your seller asking and are you hoping to resell the clock for a large profit or are you looking to buy the clock as a collector? You seem to want this clock to be worth more than it is and I am trying to help as much as I can with limited information. I do hope you understand.

I do hope it went well with the clock purchase yesterday.

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer.
Please do let me know by clicking the five stars.

Rarewares
Rarewares