Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Glenda Back for more help! I bought these little wall masks…

Glenda B Back for more help...
Glenda B
Back for more help! I bought these little wall masks a few weeks ago. As you can see....lovely. I am trying to figure out approximately how old they are. I thought maybe they were of Jenny Lind because of the flowers in her hair. They are lightweight. Some sort of white pottery. They are about 8 inches tall or so.
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/1/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Good Morning

I hope you are doing well, are these marked anywhere? They seem to be made of plaster.

They are not marked Glenda. Quite fragile. So maybe a thin plaster?

Hello

Yes, they could be a plaster over a mess type substance, which is common making items like this. Sometimes they put the plaster over a material too. They will also pour a very thin plaster into a mold, let it dry then when done they attach a back on them so they are flat and able to hang. They let this dry then they clean it all up and hand paint them, then they are sealed.

.

These look to date to the 1930's, cannot say for sure who made them, there were a few companies during this time that made plaster items like this.

.

The Antique Wall Masks, have an estimated value on the current market for an average of $115.00-120.00 each, if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $75.00-80.00, if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $100.00 and up each depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $100.00 each
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating..

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question. I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.

Thank you
Glenda
.

.
.

Thank you
Glenda

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser