Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

S only... Here is the vase I bought in China I asked for…

Customer Question
For Robert S only... Here...
For Robert S only... Here is the vase I bought in China I asked for details about who painted it and where and was told that was a secret they did share that it was created after a vase that was once in the Forbidden City would love to know more and the translation on the back. Vasechinatrp846 https://imgur.com/gallery/lZURV
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 day by:
4/2/2018
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 months ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Kalina,

Just letting you know I got the "Forbidden City" vase.

Looks roughly 6" - 8" tall? If any bigger, please let me know.

Many thanks,
Robert.

8 inches.... I might have a video of the people who sold it to me that I could send to you I will look and see there is no hurry at all on this one as I'm keeping it as a memoir of my first trip to China to pass down.... It has the landscape cherry blossoms scholar items children and hopefully an awesome poem on the back..lots of my fav things...
Haven't found the video yet here are a few picks of when I purchased it. The vase with the woman was already sold it was beautiful
20160820_180432.jpg2016082...jpg20160820_180438.jpg2016082...jpg20160820_180500.jpg2016082...jpg20160820_181615.jpg2016082...jpg
I bought it in Jingdezhen...thought I'd mention that too. Guy in photo was my guide Peter...if u ever go..he was fantastic!!!

What great pictures of the china shop and Peter who looks so kind and cheerful!

This should still be open..can we reopen it? No writing on back of scroll.
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 months ago

No writing on back of scroll, okay, not to worry.

Forbidden City vase: Can you check the imgur link to the photos, it does not appear to be connecting any more.

Vasechinatrp846 https://imgur.com/a/lZURV
Does this link work?
Can you see the photos now of the vase I bought in China?

Yes! Thanks for re-sending the link, I can see the photos now, I'll have a response for you as soon as I can.

For some reason, I thought I'd already replied to you on this, but obviously not. I know I started on the translation of the inscription....if I can just find what I did with it!

No problem and no hurry this vase isn't going anywhere and probably is it worth much more than I paid... I just can't find the information that I took down when I bought it and I think that information was not detailed anyway and I would like to know more...thx.... I also sent a Buddha statue although I'm guessing it's probably brass let me know if you have that one. I will be sending in the next day or two a small silk painting I purchased..looking forward to what u can find on the painting. Unless I'm looking for more info to make the final decision on a purchase I am not in a hurry I would rather you take your time because I love all the detail you provide!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pls reopen...
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 month ago

Hi Kalina,

So finally, after much deliberation, here's what I can tell you about the "Forbidden City" vase.

It's a very pretty piece, painted in a Qianjiang style (over-the-glaze fencai enamels with poetry inscription) that became so popular in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

The main panel, painted in the round, shows a typical affluent Mandarin family at ease in their home, with typical scenes of children running about playing, the figures dressed in the clothes and hairstyles of the mid- to late-1800s, typified by the high wide hair-buns of the women and the small headcloth on the master of the household, seated at his desk with his brushes and important-looking seal blocks (in blue) place conveniently beside him. Out through the window we see a New Year landscape with hopeful plum blossom and distant mountains, a typical Chinese idyll.

Above and below, minutely hand painted in rust red on a gold ground, are some lovely examples of lappet bands, lucky-coin diaper (round the shoulder) and zigzag leiwen and lambrequins (around the rim). And all nicely balanced by the zoomorphic mask handles.

As far as the inscription goes, here's more of this sloppy cursive script that's so hard to read.

This what I can make out, but it doesn't really help us be certain what it means.

書[?][?]血[?]文右设垂名巾刊[?]淙?天[?][?]

The first character is "book" and so it could be something about a "book written in blood [血].... the text on the right side of the paper... the names published.. "

and it looks like the last two characters are:

苦成

Kucheng.

Not that that pulls up any known artist, but it looks like a newer piece done in the last ten to fifteen years.

Qianlong seal mark on the bottom.

As far as value goes, these Qianjiang revival pieces are not old enough to have gained a following yet on the secondary market, so this piece would sell on its decorative appeal in the $150 - $250 range, but I would nevertheless insure it for $500 as this would be a realistic replacement value.

Hope this is helpful! Wish we had the artist here to explain it all himself!

Happy Saturday,

Robert.