Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a vintage mid century modern piece I'd like to find…

I have a vintage...

I have a vintage mid century modern piece I'd like to find more out about. I can't seem to find a marking other than a sticker on the back that says "Lot NO CE0129. And underneath it says 049 Crossman's van and Sig co inc.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

It is mid century modern. Solid wood. has 4 sliding doors on the front that slide either direction. The doors have neat almost wicker detail, with riveted wood underneath.

3/31/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Thank you for the pictures, I will work on my answer in writing next. Thank you for your patience.

This is a 1950-1960's stereo console with sliding rattan and walnut veneer doors

to access the stereo equipment, drop down for record player.

The maker would have been the maker of the stereo that came in the console, this could have been Westinghouse, Sears, or even a German or Danish maker. The console was gutted at some point, so the exact maker is unknown. You might find a mark on the underside or inside on of the doors, under a shelf, etc, but these were mostly marked by the components and then a small metal tag on one of the doors.

The sticker on the back is one I've seen throughout my life because my father was in the Navy and we moved a lot in the 1970's. This is the military inventory tag that was put on every piece of furniture that was touched by a moving company hired by the government to move a military family in the 1970's.

All of that being said, these consoles are the 'hot' item right now in furniture and interior design. Many people are even refurbishing with bluetooth components. This piece in this condition (a few scrapes and scratches) has a current value of $800 resale on the secondary market. Chairish.com is the best place for selling this style right now but there are many other local sites as well.

Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are apartmenttherapy.com, www.loveseat.com (in CA),
Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), http://www.revueconsignment.com/ (in Ohio),
Ioffer.com, and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission.
***Please take a moment to click the five stars. Bonuses are also welcome! ***

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer.
Please do let me know by clicking the five stars.

Rarewares