Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Looking to value a painting by Marra. 1960s water in

Customer Question
Looking to value a...

Looking to value a painting by Marra

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

1960s water in foreground, domed church and arched bridge

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

5'x2'

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/30/2018
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 3 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Thank you for the images and for your patience.

This is a vintage original painting that dates to the 3rd quarter of the 20th century, 1950’s - 1970’s that is signed Marra.

It is by what is known as an unlisted artist, meaning one that does not sell at auction for fine art collector and investor purposes, but a painting that is more intended for decorative framed original wall art for the home, hotel or lobby setting. Oftentimes, the artist’s name that is on the painting is fictitious and they painted in factory settings in Mexico and China. They were sold in decorator shops, furniture show room stores and department store furniture sections.

This particular large size is referred to as a ‘sofa’ or ‘couch’ painting, as it would be a elegant wall statement above a new sofa.

Your vintage framed oil painting would sell for $100 - $300 on today’s market. They do get offered for higher on online auction sites, but the realistic sales prices are lower than asking price.

You will now need to please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora