Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a brass table from Jordan or Syria that we got in…

Customer Question
I have a brass...

I have a brass table from Jordan or Syria that we got in 1952-53. It is about 15" diameter top with three legs in the shape of elephant trunk with tusks. One of the supporting bolts has broken and I want to find someplace to get it repaired.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

It's hard to describe, but could send a picture if necessary. The one place I did take it said that these bolts are

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/30/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

I've been trying to upload my pictures, but when I click on the Add files button it won't open.

Here are a few different options for sending pictures. The availability of each feature depends on which browser
(Safari, Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer) you are using and whether you are on a desktop or a phone.

1) Use the +Add Files feature next to the red SEND button on in the area where you write back to me
to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.

2) Use the paperclip icon above the texting area where you reply.
The photos will upload when you add at least one word in the text box.
You won't see the photo, but the paperclip will turn green.

3) You can email the pictures to***@******.*** with
"forCustomerquot; in the subject line of the email and they
will forward them to me (please include the link to your question page).This way takes 24-48 hours.

I uploaded pictures. Have email saying you have more questions but I don't see them.

The photos arrived in my email this morning.

This is a 1930's to 1950's middle eastern brass table with inlaid brass elephant head legs.

The value intact is $300 to $400.

The repair needed is some simple welding and a replacement screw and bolt.

They don't tell us where you are so I am not able to tell you an exact place to go, but a

furniture repair, lamp repair or even a car auto body shop should be able to help with this simple fix.

You could even shout out to local friends on social media to ask if anyone knows how to weld.

To end this one, please click the five stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid separately by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

Thank you for that information, but it doesn't help much. I did take it to two separate metal fabricators in the area and both told me that they were afraid that the welding would damage the finish and darken the brass. They also told me that the bolt itself, which is the broken part, is no longer made in that size and would not be strong enough to hold if welded.
I am in Walla Walla, WA so not very near any big city, but I do occasionally get to Portland, OR so if you know of someone there with expertise in brass I would appreciate the reference.

I would suggest you call this restorer first, he offers a free phone consult.

I don't think he'd be able to fix it, but he will have those local resources and know who could.

http://davidwpotts.webs.com/servicesoffered.htm

If he is not helpful, try this business.

http://in-homefurniturerepairandrefinishing.com/structural-repair/