Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I'm hoping for Doris to appraise my painting which I've had…

Customer Question
I'm hoping for Doris to...
I'm hoping for Doris to appraise my painting which I've had for as long as 18 yrs. It is painted by the artist Giddy. It is an original which appears to be oil. It's measurement is 2 ft by 3ft without the measurement of the frame which adds about 4 inches with its frame.
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 27 days ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I do hope those photos came to you well...took me a minute to send them

You entered them in a new question thread. I requested a refund for you there.

Please respond in this thread.

Send a picture of the back, please.

You must respond in this thread or you will be charged for multiple questions even though they are about the same item.

I saw your pictures and closed the recent duplicate you sent. Please only respond here.

See the following images. They show the auction selling prices for floral paintings by an artist that signed paintings "Giddy."

You will see they sold for $19.99-37.92 at auction.

Giddy is an unlisted artist. This does not mean your painting is not well done. It simply means that he/she has not been recognized nationally of internationally nor have any of his/her work been part of a major exhibition.

I wish I had better news.

There is one on eBay now in the close-to-retail "Buy it Now" format for $175 but that's the highest I found for a Giddy painting.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com or nextdoor.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 26 days ago

************************************
Hi there!!!!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help????

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser