Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I'm hoping for Doris to appraise my painting which I've had…

I'm hoping for Doris to...
I'm hoping for Doris to appraise my painting which I've had for as long as 18 yrs. It is painted by the artist Giddy. It is an original which appears to be oil. It's measurement is 2 ft by 3ft without the measurement of the frame which adds about 4 inches with its frame.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

I do hope those photos came to you well...took me a minute to send them

You entered them in a new question thread. I requested a refund for you there.

Please respond in this thread.

Send a picture of the back, please.

You must respond in this thread or you will be charged for multiple questions even though they are about the same item.

I saw your pictures and closed the recent duplicate you sent. Please only respond here.

See the following images. They show the auction selling prices for floral paintings by an artist that signed paintings "Giddy."

You will see they sold for $19.99-37.92 at auction.

Giddy is an unlisted artist. This does not mean your painting is not well done. It simply means that he/she has not been recognized nationally of internationally nor have any of his/her work been part of a major exhibition.

I wish I had better news.

There is one on eBay now in the close-to-retail "Buy it Now" format for $175 but that's the highest I found for a Giddy painting.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com or nextdoor.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

************************************
Hi there!!!!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help????

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************

I'm simply to recopy the wonderful work you did for me :> I had a stroke about the beginning of Jan. 2018 and still love collecting and creating a book to keep my files in . I thank you for the patience I've had since my stroke...but am recovering well!! THANK YOU

I am so sorry about your stroke but very glad you are making a full recovery.

*********************
I am only credited by the Just Answer site for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************

Unfortunately, it is against site policy to stack questions. You will need to go back to the beginning and enter your item in a new question thread.

I would be delighted to help you there. Just type "For Doris Only' as the first three words of your new question.

But first, please click the five stars here so the site compensates me for my work on this question. This does not cost you extra.

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
For Doris Only:For; Doris Only
Can you give me an estimated appraisal on the following painting!? I had this appraised by you in the past...around January 15, 2017! I have kept all my paperwork on all you did and then no one could here find my paper work on this Painting. This is what I've needed all day. I am slower since my stoke again, so please be patient with me.Thank you so much for your help.
20170115_192037~2.jpg2017011...jpg20170115_191822.jpg2017011...jpg20170115_191932.jpg2017011...jpg20170115_191803~2.jpg2017011...jpg
I will call you perhaps next time...Thank You

Jean,

PHONE CALLS

I do not participate in the phone call services. The ad for a call was auto-generated by the site, not me.
I will still continue to work with you in writing an answer you can print out at no extra cost.

T enter a new item for assessment, you need to go to the site log in and log in again. Then enter you new question in a new thread. Do not add new items to old question threads. If you need help, you can contact customer support at

***@******.***

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.

Thank you again.
**********************