Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a painting that has been in my family since WWII by…

I have a painting...

I have a painting that has been in my family since WWII by Raul Dufy can you authenticate the signature?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

This picture is of a bunch of sail boats in in a small village the colors are yellow, green, black and light blue. this picture was brought back from France by my uncle and has been hanging on our wall for over 60 years, I can send pictures

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Muted basic lines maybe water color

3/27/2018
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions

Greetings, my name is ***** ***** I would love to assist you with your Raul Dufy painting. I adore his light-filled and buoyant work and have researched his pieces before. Please upload images of the piece in it's entirety (let me know the dimensions) and at least one close up, in focus image of the signature. Additionally, a couple of close-ups so that I may see other areas of the painting will be helpful.

Kindest Regards,

Erin-Marie

Erin-Marie Wallace
Phone call session started

I see that you have requested a phone consultation I am more than happy to assist with that but give me 5 minutes to look over your images and then I'll call.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Dear Todd - A pleasure speaking with you and I'll begin the evaluation process under the assumption of authenticity after which we will chat again when you have had the opportunity to take the piece from the frame.

Kindest Regards,

Erin-Marie

Dear Todd,

Are the 22" x 18" the dimensions of the frame or the dimensions of the visible area of the painting?

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Dear Todd,

Tentatively you would expect to average between $5000USD and $5500USD if the piece were to be sold at the right public auction which also incorporated competitive online bidding. It is similar to this example which was sold through Heritage Auctions for $5078USD. That said, once you take the piece out of the frame, if you find that the location of the painting is mentioned you can expect the average auction estimate to be three to four times higher.

As we move through this process, I will be looking to see where similar pieces have sold at auction which allows for a Fair Market Value. Once pieces like your have found their way into galleries, the retail prices will vary widely. While two to three times the hammer price is common, retail prices are dependent upon a dealer's clientele, market fluctuations and regional variations.

Once you have the piece from the frame and I've seen the images, lets chat again.

Kindest Regards,

Erin-Marie