Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

My dad bought a couple of antique signs and was wondering…

My dad bought a...

My dad bought a couple of antique signs and was wondering what they were worth

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

One of the signs is from the American Brake Shoe Company and says American Brakeblok on the top then has hooks on the bottom. On the top right it has a Napa symbol and says American Company. The other one seams to be an oil stand and the sign on top says We Sell Wolf's Head Motor Oil. On the bottom right it says 100% Pure Pennsylvania and P.G.C.O.A. Permit No 19.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

any ideas on these signs?

In order for me to properly assess what you have, I would please need to see images.

~Nora

ok

No rush, any time is fine. ~Nora

were you able to open them?
I have to go help my brother for a couple hours so won't be online to answer any questions. I bookmarked this page though so I can see any further communication from you. Thanks.

Thank you for the images and for your patience.

Your vintage American Brakeblok sign is for fan belt display. This could sell for $50 - $100.

Here is a link to a match for you that sold for $50:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-american-brakeblok-535994868

The Wolf's Head Motor Oil display sale rack could sell for $1200 - $1400. Here is a link for you to a match that sold for $1295:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wolfs-head-oil-rack-sell-wolfs-head-1847737105

You will now need to please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate all your help.

You are very welcome and my pleasure to be of help to you here.

In the meantime, if you could please take a moment to leave a rating for my services here by clicking the stars, I would really appreciate it.

This question thread will not close after a rating is left.

Thank you!

~Nora

Nora

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora