Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have found 2 old photographs brought to the US from Praque…

I have found 2...

I have found 2 old photographs brought to the US from Praque around 1910. The are of the Czar and Czarina 1839-1898. They are small photos around an oval of the person from childhood to adult in various years to a larger photo in the center in the final year.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

The photos themselves are in quite good condition, the edges are a bit discolored and frayed. They are on heavy board stock

3/27/2018
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser

Thanks for the question! Could you attach a photo of the piece using the paperclip function above the question box? I'd like to provide an exact comparable if possible.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I cannot find a 'paperclip', I tried clicking "add files" and adding photos of the scan but then it "grays out" the "send" button. I do not know how to send them to you. Give me a real email address and I can send you some scans. I cannot scan the entire thing at once as it is too large approx 17x12.5. The portion that contains the photos is approx 10.24 x 7.75" then there is a 2" gold gilt looking "frame" all printed on one piece of heavy stock board. There are no identifying marks at all. I know, for a fact that my great-great Aunt brought this to America when she came to America, bringing my grandmother with her in about 1910. I can get that date and ship. I also have a picture, also on the same type of heavy board of an old farm house. I was "told" it was either "her" house "Tante's" or my grandmother's grandparent's house. I really do not know. I also have a picture of her "Tante". Which means "aunt" in maybe "Czech". Though it was called Bohemia when they left (so I was told). My grandmother was 15-16 when they arrived in the US. Really want to send you scans but I cannot figure out how.

Thank you for the photos! What a great item. These pictures of a ruler throughout his life were popular and sold to middle-and-upper-class households. They were printed on a thin paper that was then mounted to a heavy board and the date of 1910 would be consistent with its age (around the turn-of-the century). These are collectible and similar ones sell for $150 to $250 in venues like online auctions and through historical photography and book dealers.

Again, thank you! Let me know if I can be of further help and please rate my professionalism using the 5-star system.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you. Do you know for sure who this is?

It appears to be William I, German Emperor and King of Prussia

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you very much for you assistance! I am very proud of my grandmother. I think that she was very brave to leave her family and everything she knew behind and come to a new Country with only her Aunt. She later married my grandfather, who was Irish. Sadly I have not been able to find his ancestry past his father. They both worked for the B&O Railroad all of their lives. Both of my grandparents wanted to become "all" American and my grandmother never talked about the "old country" or her family. I was one of the youngest grandchildren so I truly knew the least and the oldest are not willing to share what they know. When I was 14 I flew to spend the summer with a cousin and my grandmother went to the airport with us. She decided then and there that if I could fly at 14 she could fly to go back to Prague and visit her brothers. So after 50+ years she returned to her home Country to visit her home and her family. I am so happy that I was a part of that. I deeply regret that I did not "talk" more with my ancestors when I was young and still had them. But my child and grandchildren are doing the same thing. I try to tell them important things, but their lives are busy and they see no imporatance in it.....they think they know everything. ha ha

It was my pleasure! She sounds like an extraordinary lady

ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser