Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Like to get your opinion is this a authentic Doorstop,

Boston Terrier by Hubley 1910-30...
Like to get your opinion is this a authentic Doorstop, Boston Terrier by Hubley 1910-30? This looks to be all original and a early one no marks I can find. 10 1/2" high 9 1/2" long. Value?
Thanks Brad
IMG_2088.JPGIMG_2088.JPGIMG_2089.JPGIMG_2089.JPGIMG_2090.JPGIMG_2090.JPGIMG_2091.JPGIMG_2091.JPGIMG_2092.JPGIMG_2092.JPGIMG_2093.JPGIMG_2093.JPG
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question

Brad,

Please allow a few minutes for me to study your photos and type my complete answer.

I have examined dozens of antique Hubley Boston Terrier door stops. Yours is a large version but is has been repainted a long time ago. Note the uneven lines which are not the result of chipping. See a large antique Hubley with original paint in the following image. The large ones like yours generally have the slight brown fading on the legs.

The estimated retail value of your large antique Hubley Boston Terrier door stop is $120-160 as is.

If it had not been repainted and were in better condition, it would be worth more.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.

Thank you again.
**********************