Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I recently acquired a Berkey and Gay sideboard buffet and…

I recently acquired a...

I recently acquired a Berkey and Gay sideboard buffet and matching china cabinet. I was wondering if I sent pictures, if you'd be able to provide more information on the set and appraisal if possible? I was able to find some general information on Berkey and Gay online, but don't really know the type of wood used in the pieces, the year they were produced etc. This would be super helpful and most appreciated.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Not that I know of. Just the two pieces, the gentlemen said they were his grandparents. He was in his 60s

3/26/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

Please tell me the approximate height in inches.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the item.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will put together the information and photos to send over to you soon, thanks!

There is no hurry at this end.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Buffet sideboard is 68w x 21.5d x 36h includes 2 huge center drawers 26”w, side pull-out drawers, one with wood silverware drawer.
China closet 41 3/4w x 16 3/4d x 60h.
56AE1D05-D16B-4E87-8A47...jpeg56AE1D...jpeg2BE69BEE-3BAC-4815-A391...jpeg2BE69B...jpeg83AD66A7-105A-41E9-95C7...jpeg83AD66...jpeg98C3CA70-EB67-47D2-8060...jpeg98C3CA...jpegBA56A906-DBDE-40E0-A622...jpegBA56A9...jpeg642AC61A-475D-40A3-B9F6...jpeg642AC6...jpeg86F6746C-F38C-4CA4-B8E8...jpeg86F674...jpeg3A18F2A5-36F6-46CA-8DDD...jpeg3A18F2...jpeg5498F28C-30D4-4317-B1CD...jpeg5498F2...jpeg8B898572-959B-4E09-85A4...jpeg8B8985...jpeg2B63E76F-F5D3-4A89-81D9...jpeg2B63E7...jpegA181A57F-FC1B-4AF7-9E80...jpegA181A5...jpeg951444AE-7ABD-4CE6-ABD7...jpeg951444...jpeg3586F5D2-384F-4CFC-9D82...jpeg3586F5...jpeg42DBA0CD-331D-4F1C-B03E...jpeg42DBA0...jpeg

Thank you for all the photos. I need some time to study them and type my complete answer.

Several pictures of the sideboard came through but none of the china cabinet. Please send at least one of the china cabinet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
China cabinet, there should be 7 photos attached. One of seal, same as sideboard, front, back, one of cabinet door open, and a few closeups.
687FD6CD-DB59-49B6-9EF7...jpeg687FD6...jpeg947FCAE5-FE17-4508-A98F...jpeg947FCA...jpeg09D23BA6-83CE-4980-8883...jpeg09D23B...jpegA9101E79-9397-431B-A22A...jpegA9101E...jpegE554D8EB-7728-4F70-B2B9...jpegE554D8...jpeg2582D8C3-89FB-4DBE-8386...jpeg2582D8...jpegFFD1AE3A-FB80-4396-98E9...jpegFFD1AE...jpeg

"A Berkey & Gay table, circa 1875, in the collections of the Public Museum bears a black stencil of the company name on the underside of its stretchers. The underside of marble tops from the same period were sometimes scored with the initials “B&G” by the local marble supplier. Paper labels that read “From Berkey & Gay Furniture Co. Grand Rapids, Mich.” were used in the 1880s and ‘90s, and have been found on the back of case pieces, and under the upholstery on chair armrests.

By 1905 Berkey & Gay had adopted a new trademark consisting of a series of concentric rings. A circular line surrounds the words “BERKEY & GAY FURNITURE” which surround a “C” with the “O” as the center. This mark appeared as an inlaid wood tag or paper label for a short time, then was replaced by a brass tag. When the company changed owners in 1929, “DIVISION OF SIMMONS CO.” was added between the “C” and the company name. From as early as 1929, the Simmons line was sometimes replaced by “TRADE-MARK-REG.U.S. PAT OFF”."

Source: Furniture City History

This means the label could have been used from 1929-1948.

However, the style here was a popular one for Berkey and Gay during the 1920s. It is a English Tudor reproduction.

We can thus determine a date range of 1929-1933.

See the following image. It shows a similar sideboard/buffet by Berkey and Gay that sold for $1295 in an antique shop.

The china cabinet would also sell for about the same amount. There are few online that have higher asking prices but they are overpriced according to my research.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com or nextdoor.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you Doris! I am just wondering, what characteristics makes this an english tudor style reproduction? I'm sure its not easy to determine via photo, but would you be able to tell me the type(s) of wood used in the pieces? Is it most likely one wood with different stains or a few different types of wood? I do plan on keeping the sideboard, so I'd love to know more details about it if possible, carvings, the leg style etc. I may sell the china cabinet but am not certain yet. thanks again! Nixi

"Tudor style furniture

1457 – 1509

This coincides with the rule of the Tudor dynasty in England whose first monarch was Henry VII. The term is often used more broadly to include Elizabeth I reign (1558 – 1603)
Characteristic of this style is the enrichment of every surface with flamboyant carved, turned, inlaid, and painted decoration in the spirit of the English Renaissance.
The Tudor period was one of beautiful woodwork, though it was still heavy and sparse by modern standards. Sideboards became fashionable as a way to display plate."

Source: Museum Description

"

Tudor furniture is the term used to define the English furniture of the 16th century. The Tudor furniture was made of solid wood, and though decorated, the work was dependent rather on form than decorations.

The furniture of the period was made of European woods, oak, walnut, and elm. Oak was used plain and solid, or slightly inlaid with sycamore and yew.

The Tudor period style was a mixture of Gothic with Italian, Flemish, and French influences, especially early in the period (1509-1558). The linen-fold motif, introduced in England from France or Flanders in the 15th century, appeared together with Tudor details on chests, choir stalls, and footboards of beds. The acanthus was introduced from Italy, and also the cartouche and the guillouche, a strap ornament forming a succession of circles. There were also Italian furniture forms and terminal shapes. After 1536 the coarser German and Flemish furniture features became more common together with the Italian ones."

Source: European Furniture Styles

Yours is English Tudor Revival with somewhat more plain design to meet the 1929-1933 period tastes. The real key to me is the style turning of the legs combined with the stretchers between the legs.

While photographs of the same piece of furniture can vary in color and detail from one picture to another, my best guess is that your pieces are walnut.

The best way to determine wood is to view pieces in person and compare the woods to what you find on paint and wood stain samples you see on various paint sites online. Another more direct method would be to get wood samples from your local hardware store to compare to yours in person.

I hope this helps.

Positive, please.

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you very much Doris!

You are welcome.

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.

Thank you again.
**********************

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser