Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a elm slab dinning room table - I bought it in 1975 -

Customer Question
I have a elm...

I have a elm slab dinning room table - I bought it in 1975 - it has four oak chairs - the slab is on a oak base - everything is nicely finished. The oak came from the McMaster Campus in Hamilton - it was made by a gun stock company - the name escapes me.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Judd is the name of the gun stock company.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/26/2018
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 3 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Do you have any photos of it that you can send?

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

No but I will take some photos and send them along tomorrow morning. Will that work? Dave.

Hi Dave.

That'll be more than fine. You can take all the time you need. This question won't go anywhere.

~Diana

Here is some further info - the name of the manufacturer is Judd's Gunstocks. The diameter of the table is 54 inches the table itself is 3 inches thick as I said it is all elm including the four chairs.
In addition I have added a second piece for an your appraisal this is a solid maple china cabinet. It is 80 inches high and 18 inches deep it has two lights in the anterior which can be adjusted to make the light intense or softer. There is a mirror in back with glass shelves. The unit is actually two pieces. I looked but could not find a manufacturer - I think I paid around 3.5K eight years ago. For the table which I said is close to fifty years old I paid IK for the table and 750.00 for the chairs. I have been offered 10 K for the table and chairs and I think it is worth more but you are the expert. Dave.
DTable1.jpgDTable1.jpgDT2.jpgDT2.jpgDtable 3.jpgDtable 3.jpgCCabinet1.jpgCCabinet1.jpgCCabinet2.jpgCCabinet2.jpg
Dianna - did you get the photos and extra info? Dave/

Hi Dave. I did. I wasn't online when you sent them. Thank you for them and the extra information.

.

I'll be glad to take a look. I have to be away from my desk this morning, but I'll get started as soon as I get home.

~Diana

Hi Dave.

Thank you again for all the pictures.

.
That's very well done table. It's one of the more interesting in that it uses a slice of the trunk rather than the length of it. This shape is generally used more with end and coffee tables more so than dining tables. I wish we had done something similar with an old sycamore we had to have cut down because it had grown in a crowded back yard and wound up taking on too much of lean. It's trunk was about 65" at it's widest part and would have been great.

.

Another interesting design choice is using similar slabs to create the base and legs. Most tend to go for metal legs or a more simple pedestal design. Reusing more of the trunk was a good idea. Combined with the shape of the table, it makes for a great look.

.

$10k isn't a bad deal. It's definitely a good bargaining point. In all honest, a live slice as large as yours is worth about $2500 to $3000 for a nicely shaped slice. Add in the sealing and staining and you hit nearly $3000 for just the top. Combined with the finished table and chairs to match, a set like that will be worth closer to $12,000 to $13,000. So, $10k isn't bad, but you might trying bargaining up a bit.

.

That's a nice contemporary late 20th century maple china cabinet. It has a nice, clean look. It has 3 simple framed doors on top. 2 doors on the bottom with 3 drawers in the center. It looks to be in excellent condition. I don't see any damage. The finish is still bright and it has a nice grain pattern to the wood. A piece like that will be worth about $1300 to $1500.

.

If your sale doesn't go through, I can give you a few other options. The price really depends on how quick you want to make a sale and where you want to try and sell it. If you can get a collector, they will pay almost full value for it, but that means waiting on a sale. Shipping can be quite expensive because of the weight and I know a lot of buyers aren't necessarily willing to pay full value of something and then pay a ton for shipping too. So, in many cases you would have to factor shipping cost into what you might be able to sell it for.

.

While I'm not a huge fan, there is always craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale, though I think the values aren't quite as high as you can get elsewhere. The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places

.

I would try an auction as a last resort for something like this because they are really dependent upon who is the audience. Large items tend to go either way. If you do check with an auction house, ask about setting a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price.
.

If you consider Ebay, consider a reserve and check into alternate shipping options, like freight, greyhound, uship, cratesandfreighters, etc. or you can list it as a pickup only. If you consider doing a pickup only, you can also list it with online antique shops like Rubylane, Charish, or GoAntiques.
.
That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great day.
.
~Diana

I will be away on vacation form Friday 30 March returning to my desk Monday 09 April 2018. I will be monitoring my BB e-mail traffic sporadically so if there is something that I can do from a distance I will do so when I am able. For immediate assistance please contact the Acting Secretary General André M****. He can be contacted by phone at(###) ###-####or by e-mail andre.m****@vac-acc.gc.ca.

Hi. I got a strange reply from you about being away on vacation. I'm sure you didn't mean to post that to me. Was there something else you needed?

~Diana

Hi. I was just touching base to see if you need anything else? I noticed you viewed my answer. Is there a problem with my answer or anything else I can help with? I welcome any and all feedback.

Best Wishes,
Diana