Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I am going to get my set of these chrome kitchen chairs

Customer Question
Hi, I am going to...
Hi, I am going to get my set of these chrome kitchen chairs re-done. Only I am missing one of the 'handles' that go on the top. Can you tell me where I can get a replacement handle? And, what company made them back in the 40's - 50's? (The back legs on them are not as rounded as the ones I've found while trying to find a replacement handle.) I can send more photos if you'd like.Thanks,
Trisha
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/26/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 5 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

Trisha,

Hello! Please do add more pictures when you have time.

Hope these additional photos will help. If you would like a particular view that I've not included, please let me know.

On these type of chairs, there was usually a tag on the bottom of each chair pad.

Have you looked there for those annoying white tags? There would be pieces of

information there that would help.

I know the tag would make it easier, but unfortunately, no, no tags. These chairs have been recovered.

Well, I haven't been much help here with the main goal. So many companies made these chairs to include Acme and Virtue Brothers as the large makers. I do not see a place to buy a replacement handle, only places that sell legs and seat replacements.

Should I opt-out and allow another Expert to step in?

Yea, if you don't mind 'opting-out' that might give me another chance at getting the info I need. But you should know that you did a great job on my question the last time I used Just Answer. Thanks for that, and thanks for letting someone else step-in on this one.

Absolutely, I don't mind at all. Just ask for me on the next one!

Good luck, I can't answer once I opt-out.

Antique Expert: Jon, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 5 months ago
Jon
Jon, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

My name is Jon. Maybe I can help. The tops of these chairs are a very simple piece of chrome plated metal tubing. Even though no replacement parts may be available, this simple piece could be reproduces by a metal fabrication shop. This could also be produces from stainless steel and polished to eliminate the need for chrome plating. Would you like me to see if there are any good ones in your area?

First, thanks for taking my question. Thanks, ***** ***** thanks on finding a fabricator, It's expensive and I was trying to get one pre-fabed. I'm gathering from your response that no pre-fabed ones are available?
Do you know what company made them, as that will be a selling point once I get ready to sell? (As I advised the former adviser, the back legs are not as rounded as the other chairs I've seen from this period, but I know my chairs are 1950's or earlier.)
Trisha

I do not know who made them for sure.

Thanks for the honest answer.I do not want to rate either you or the previous adviser poorly, but my question has not been answered by either of you. How should I proceed?

I have opted out. We will see if another expert can help.