Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Saki set with 2 pourers and 5 cups. The pourers are 5.5"

Saki set with 2 pourers...
Saki set with 2 pourers and 5 cups. The pourers are 5.5" tall x 2.5" wide. They have birds that are blue with yellow bellies and lots of orange flowers. The cups are 1 7/8" tall x 1 7/8" across the mouth. The cups are very fragile while the pourers are heavy. They are in the box they were bought in and I took a photo of the label on it as well as on the items.
IMG_2022.JPGIMG_2022.JPGIMG_2025.JPGIMG_2025.JPGIMG_2026.JPGIMG_2026.JPGIMG_2030.JPGIMG_2030.JPGIMG_2031.JPGIMG_2031.JPGIMG_2035.JPGIMG_2035.JPGIMG_2036.JPGIMG_2036.JPGIMG_2037.JPGIMG_2037.JPG
3/26/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Linda,

Just letting you know I got the sake set.

I'll have an answer for you shortly!

Many thanks,
Robert.

This is a very pretty little set, not that old, maybe 1970s in date, and made in Japan. It's decorated in an Imari pattern of brocades and reserves containing scenic paintings of flowers & birds, in colors which are traditionally Japanese, originally a palette of rust red and gold over underglaze blue, but in its modern form, as here, a much wider range of colors and all of them printed over the glaze.

The word "Imari" comes from the name of the port in Japan from which this type of porcelain was exported in the 1600s and when it first became famous and desirable in the West. Imari was actually made in a place called Arita, where the natural deposits of fine white porcelain clays were handily located, but the Japanese exporters were rightly fearful of the Dutch and English traders knowing where it was and stealing their industrial secrets. In the West at that time the recipe for porcelain was still unknown and so the whole country of Japan was closed off to the outside world. The closest the European traders were allowed to come was Imari, the port of exit.

Eventually, of course, the recipe for porcelain was discovered in the West and these all-over colorful brocade and scenic patterns that typify Imari, remained so popular that all the top makers of Europe began producing their own versions of it, particularly Royal Worcester and Royal Crown Derby.

The Japanese continued to refine it too and in the late 19th century it reached its peak of complexity and artistic merit and this sake set is a late 20th century revival of this.

The mark on the base is a four character Zhuanshu (seal script) mark that reads:

第一陶器

Dai Ichi Toki which literally translated means "The First Pottery".

They are located in Tajimi-Shi (Gifu province) a town known for its ceramics and close to Nagoya which is currently the center of porcelain manufacture in Japan.

Dai Ichi Toki are one of many suppliers to the "Takahashi Import Co" a major importer of Japanese ceramic giftware based in San Francisco and one usually sees the Takahashi label on these sake sets.

The text on the box says:

特選陶器 "Specialty Pottery"

and

錦花鳥酒器

"Brocade, flower & bird wine drinking set"

These sets don't have a great deal of value on the secondary market yet as they're not quite old enough to have attracted a premium for being antique. This one would sell on line or at auction in the $25 - $40 range.

Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $80.

Hope this is helpful!
Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S.