Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Looking for info on silver salt and pepper shakers. Early…

Looking for info on...

Looking for info on silver salt and pepper shakers. Early 20th cent. mark on bottom is SP Co or PS Co in a shield.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Old Prill Silver Co. on attached label.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

616 Made in USA

3/26/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

What kind of information are you looking for?

~Diana

What the symbols mean and value I have 2 sets. It also is stamped with La France Reg on the bottom.

Hi.

Do you have any photos of all the marks that you can send?

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

That's great. thank you. If you'll give me a few minutes to look those over, I'll get some information together for you.

~Diana

Hi.

The shield is the mark for Peerless Silver Co. They were founded in 1936 in Brooklyn, NY. The LAFrance, Reg, mark was used from 1936-1960 until they were bought by Oneida.

.

The 616 number is ***** pattern number. It's a silverplate set of salt and pepper shakers. They should date to the 1930s/1940s, which fits the design perfectly. They're a bit of an art deco design with a pedestal base and a slightly swirled design.

.

They do have a bit of loss and wear where you can see the silverplate coming off in a few places. Even with that, they should still be worth about $15 to $25 for the pair

.

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Charish are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though. Etsy actually has one of the lowest current rates.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

hello?

Hi. Is there something else I can help you with?

~Diana

Do you have any information for me?

Hi. I posted your answer a few hours ago. You must have missed it, so I'll post it again.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser