Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I would like to know how much my & Wheeler no. 8 sewing

Hi! I would like...

Hi! I would like to know how much my Wilson & Wheeler no. 8 sewing machine + cabinet is worth. It is not in working order. Serial no. 540507. The plate is engraved Bridgeport Conn March-Aug 1878 ( I think/ hard to read).

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I don't think so... is this a free service?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

Please tell me the approximate height in inches.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the machine and cabinet.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the machine.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

I tried to send a couple of pics from my phone but they will won't go. The cabinet is approx. 43" x 15.5" w/ the leaf extended. It does have a back leaf also that runs the length of the cabinet. It is 28" high. Thanks
No thank you. I don't care to pay more. I will continue to research it on my own. Thank you for your time Doris.

I do not participate in the phone call services. The ad for a call was auto-generated by the site, not me.
I will still continue to work with you in writing an answer you can print out at no extra cost.

If the pictures are on your phone, you can email them to your own email address.

Then you can go to your laptop. desktop or tablet to receive the email. Then save the attached pictures to your hard drive or where ever you usually save your pictures.

Come back to this thread on your computer.

Then follow these instructions.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" link (near the "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.

Kind regards,

Doris

Thank you for the excellent photos. Please allow a few minutes for me to study and type my complete answer.

Thanks so much. I am looking at Fidflebase website. It dates my machine ( Bridgeport, Conn) btwn 1856-1876. The serial no indicates it could have been manufactured in 1878.

My reference books confirm a dating of 1876-1880s for the #8 Wheeler & Wilson Mfg Co model so the 1878 is right there.

Wheeler & Wilson Mfg Co was acquired by the Singer Co. in 1905.

The estimated retail value of this model is $650-750.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com or nextdoor.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
You are amazing Doris! Thank you so much for all of this detailed information. I am so grateful and will be sure to give you’ve great review. And, will probably be in touch re: a bishops chair I am thinking of selling. Blessings to you��

You are welcome.

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of thequestion. I should be the one to take your question.

Thank you again.
**********************