Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Hardin Authentication! I hope all is well with you and

For Robert Only Hardin AuthenticationHello Robert! I...
For Robert Only
Hardin AuthenticationHello Robert!
I hope all is well with you and yours. I had more or less given up trying to sell the Hardin archive for a while, but we could really use the money right now and so I’m resuming my endeavor
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Sorry, didn’t mean to press send yet....
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I have several interested buyers and one of them is on eBay. I am needing to be able to “guarantee authenticity” and wanted to know your opinion or advice on how I should go about that. Looking forward to your response and thank you!
3/25/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Kelly,

Good to hear from you again!

My answer to potential buyers looking for authentication of an item like this is to explain to them that the document itself, since it's an original and no copies exist, is its own authentication. If it were a fake, it would be a copy. If so, where's the document it's a copy of? Answer, there isn't one, because it doesn't exist.

You can also turn the question around and simply ask them, who would you trust to authenticate it? Be specific. Ask if the buyer has someone he/she knows who they would personally trust to authenticate it.

It's like the car buyer in the showroom who turns down the salesman when he says, "I don't like the color." The best response is for the salesman to say "Okay, so which color would you like to buy it in?"

Asking for authentication indicates that as a buyer you don't truly understand the value of what you're being offered to buy. In this instance, I would move on. If something needs a "Certificate of Authenticity" it's an automatic red flag to me that the item doesn't stand on its own merits or its authenticity is even more questionable because of the certificate.

That's my two cents worth for the moment!

Hope this helps!
Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Dude! You’re spot on. That’s how we feel too. I have the item listed on eBay for $25,000, accepting no offers less than 15. I got a message from a prospective buyer within 8 hours and he is asking if I guarantee authenticity. Also, I have been quoting your text directly for much of the information I have provided to many inquiries I’ve had. Rewording your descriptions would be just plain dumb! Thanks again Robert.
KellyCheck out my listing when you get some free time:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222897587206

Well done! The listing looks great!

The only comment I would make is that perhaps you should tweak the pictures and rotate the first one so it's the right way up and easier to read. Also, there's a feature you can add for free where the pictures will enlarge if you hover over them. It would help folks really see the detail.

Sounds like you're getting a lot of interest, I knew you would! But you're always going to get the "tire kickers" so don't obsess over their time-wasting queries just respond to them politely to "take it or leave it". The authenticity of this lot LEAPS out of the page! You'd have to be blind not to see it.

Best of luck! I'll be watching with great interest.

Robert,

PS. You might want to include the eye witness account of Deputy Webb's murder, since you made a mention of it at the bottom of the listing blurb. R.

Robert S.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ha, duhhhhh! Thank you so much! Take care!
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Also, I have been searching for information on Wesley Fielding Smith as Sheriff and cannot seem to find record of it. Do you think you may be able to assist me? Thanks again.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
One inquirer, Kurt House (www.kurthouse.com), is asking me the same question. He claims he is probably the biggest collector of Hardin memorabilia in the country, owning some 60 or so authentic items.

Hi Kelly,

I'll see what I can find on Wesley Fielding Smith as sheriff.

Robert S.
Robert S.