Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a stamped Gustav Stickley chandelier, 2 sconce lights…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a stamped Gustav Stickley chandelier, 2 sconce lights and a newel post. These fixtures are original, all in the same house which was built in 1914. I'm trying to establish a market price, and getting a little frustrated. I have pictures. Can you help please?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I believe the chandelier is # 730 in the Stickley catalog and the sconces are #400.

3/25/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I'm waiting for a response

I just got your photos. My responses are not immediate, I need time to write a comprehensive answer.

I will be back with you shortly.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I'll be patient!

This is a circa 1905-1909 Gustav Stickley arts and crafts movement four-light chandelier of hand-wrought copper, iron and hammered glass pendant lanterns, a variant of model number 730 executed by the Craftsman Workshops of Gustav Stickley, Eastwood, New York.

The variant is that yours has a two-pane window in each upper light rather than six-pane and the use of larger attachment brads overall.

Value of this piece in working condition is $38,000 to $42,000 resale.

To end this one, please click the five stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid separately by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

I am realizing I only got chandelier photos and no sconce photos. Do add those.

Rarewares

A pair of Gustav Stickley wall sconces in model #400 should be comprised of

wrought iron and uranium glass shades (greenish yellow glass that glows in black light)
circa 1905 to 1909 executed by the Craftsman Workshops of Gustav Stickley, Eastwood, NY with

marks. A pair in good condition has a value of $15,000 to $16500 resale.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I'm looking for 2 original shades but as of present can not find them. What do you think of the newel post light?

The shades should be one of these (see pics), the leaded glass shades are not original to these. Do check these shades on the metal rims, though. They could be by another famous maker and be valuable on their own.

I will work on the newel post next.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
FYI, I bought the shades at Home Depot for $20. I'd give my back teeth for originals.
Tim

So, of course, that reduces your value to $6,000 to $8000 on the sconces.

That is an estimate and a calculation as I haven't any data on sales without original shades.

Now, I am still looking through catalogs on the newel and not having luck yet. I am thinking it was bespoke for that particular home.

Would you tend to agree on that?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I found only one picture on-line that was identical to the one I have, but no information accompanied it. This would indicate that possibly it was a very limited production piece. The lamp has never been removed and I don't see any mark on the exposed surfaces but the mark is sometimes hidden. I'll look for the picture I saw on-line.
Tim

The one in the photo that you found is a modern reproduction

of it and smaller in size it seems.

Yours is a limited production original with no top "window panes" if you look closely

at the repro. Yours also has much thicker metal used and authentic slag glass panels.

I would estimate your newel post lamp attributed to Gustav Stickley made for the Craftsman Homes

circa 1909 to have a value of $14,000 to $16,000 resale.

For selling these pieces, only the best will do for the right price. I would contact Sotheby's and Christie's first.

If that is not successful for you, we can revisit a plan B.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you , well done .
Tim

You are welcome!

Rarewares
Rarewares