Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a royal octavo Carolina parrot or Parakeet plate 278…

Customer Question
I have a royal octavo...
I have a royal octavo Carolina parrot or Parakeet plate 278 2nd or later edition. What is the value? There are two pages attached to this question.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Antiques
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see on Minnieland that a first version of the Carolina parrot is valued at 3600 dollars. I have a 2nd version or later.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Joe Flynn who does research on Audubons says that 40 octavos out of more than 500 octavos have the most value. The Carolina parrot is in this grouping of 40 Audubons to own.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Usually the large version of the Carolina Parrots usually sells in excess of 100000.00 at the retail level.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On the Minnieland site the Carolina parrot has the highest value of any octavos listed. The average valuation looks like 250 dollars for the average octavo.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Usually the top 40 octavo have a valuation of over 1000 dollars at the retail level. Joe Flynn discussion.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 1 month ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Hello

I am sorry I cannot find any information that supports the numbers you have mentioned for selling prices of this. I will opt out, perhaps one of the other appraisers can help you with this.

Glenda

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The prices I am getting for the Carolina Parrot is http://www.susanrhein.com/index.htm
The first edition is 2850 dollars. The 2nd editions does not show any numbers. The 3rd edition is 995 dollars.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The large version for the Carolina Parrot isAudubon Engraving, Carolina ParrotSat, Mar 31, 2018 12:00 PM CDT
5 DAYS18 HRS42 MINUNTIL AUCTION STARTS
$280,000
0 Bids
SELECT MAXIMUM BIDPLACE BID
ESTIMATE$285,000-$300,000
AUTOMATIC BIDDING
SAVE ITEM
Interested in this item?
Save to 'Saved Items' to access later.
Register to Bid
usArader GalleriesThe smaller version of the smaller Carolina Parrot must be more valuable than other small prints of birds by Audubon*****New York, NY 10075
United States
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur